What's wrong with MPLAB?

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
I never use spaces in filenames. Just a habit from *nix and database field names.

I don't like how when Microsoft first allowed spaces in filenames, they immediately changed the OS to USE Them. Program Files Application Data Common Files (which of the previous are folder names if you haven't worked with windows before?)

He has the spaces in folder names not the file names. I usually avoid spaces in filenames too but have a few folders with spaces in the name.

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
He has the spaces in folder names not the file names. I usually avoid spaces in filenames too but have a few folders with spaces in the name.
I believe it was a Sourceboost compiler I got to choke on a space in a filename.

Since then I just assume every tool I use has deep roots from the DOS days and act accordingly.

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
I know this is not exactly what you are talking about but I use ALL my files to be INCLUDEd, with spaces like this one:

009 ISR COMPATIBLE MODE.ASM

MPLAB (any version) never complained even the last installed some 10 days ago.

stahta01

Joined Jun 9, 2011
FYI:

Years ago, I think there was a total path limit (number of chars had to be less than a small value; the value was around 100). And, it it was exceeded one of the MPLAB components failed to work.

Tim S.

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
FYI:

Years ago, I think there was a total path limit (number of chars had to be less than a small value; the value was around 100). And, it it was exceeded one of the MPLAB components failed to work.

Tim S.
That was the environment path, 128 characters.

WAY too many holdovers from DOS still linger in M$ Windows.

The worse part about it is when making a virtual windows base to run Win programs in Linux, you also need to replicate Microsoft's goofy glitches for stuff to work.