What's Causing High CPU Use On GMail?

Glenn Holland

Joined Dec 26, 2014
Here's yet another problem with CPU use on certain sites.

Over the past 48 hours, I've been having a problem with unusual CPU use on GMail. However, if I open another page on the same tab as GMail, the CPU use drops to only 5% to 10%. I've tried viewing GMail with Internet Explorer and Chrome, but the problem is still there with both browsers.

When on GMail, the CPU signature has a rather "high frequency" appearance like some kind of "Noise Data" is being continuously transmitted to (or from) GMail.

However, I can still send and receive emails with no problem. The problem is just the high CPU use which can also cause a Blue Screen if I access another site that increases CPU use. Therefore, the problem is definitely with GMail.

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
I have problems with both IE and Chrome, but doesn't seem related to gmail. I usually delete high resource process and clear it up. One thing I noticed, with both browsers, the issue is a video player in the background. In Chrome, it's Shockwave.

Glenn Holland

Joined Dec 26, 2014
I have problems with both IE and Chrome, but doesn't seem related to gmail. I usually delete high resource process and clear it up. One thing I noticed, with both browsers, the issue is a video player in the background. In Chrome, it's Shockwave.
The problem is present only when GMail is open.

However, if I go to Resource Monitor to find and try to close the offending background process (the video player), what would I look for?

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
I go to the process list in Task Manager and find processes in IE or Chrome which are using copious amounts of CPU time and/or memory, then kill them. The only way I know they are video players is once I kill them, I get messages that asks if I want to restart the player(s).

Glenn Holland

Joined Dec 26, 2014
I've got a new service listed on Resource Monitor called AdobeARMservice and the status column says it's Running.

I presume this is some kind of update that should be installed. However, I'm not getting any notice to start the installation.

Right now, it might be causing a problem so if I click on Stop Service, what will happen?

Glenn Holland

Joined Dec 26, 2014
My "image" list shows "iexplore.exe" is using high cpu, but it only occurs when GMail is open.

I tried stopping it, but that completely closes internet explorer and restarts it with GMail.

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
sounds "fairly" normal..
Is that CPU usage causing any problems? Probably not..
gmail is a fairly extensive application and uses quite a bit of resources for syncing,etc...

restart computer...run virus software.. disable extensions..try incognito mode..
ignore it..

Glenn Holland

Joined Dec 26, 2014
The CPU usage on GMail is a problem because it adds to the CPU use from other sites and I can wind up with a grand total of 80% to 90% which is risking a blue screen. However, as long as GMail is closed, my computer runs like a champ.

Pardon me for being computer illiterate, but what are Extensions and how do I disable them? Also, how to use incognito mode?

Also, my phone is synched to my desk top computer (which has the CPU problem) and I'm wondering if synching might be what's causing a problem.

I've tried contacting Google, but I can't find a direct address for their troubleshooting dept. So I may just try calling them.

Glenn Holland

Joined Dec 26, 2014
Your PSU could be dying thats why you get BSOD when CPU reaches high usage %.
"PSU" is power supply unit?

A blue screen can occur with a good supply if something causes a lot of CPU cycles for an extended time. I very seldom have blue screens (about once per year).

ISB123

Joined May 21, 2014
Well if you have any doubts about your PSU(Power Supply Unit) you should install OCCT and run few tests. Generally you shouldnt be getting BSOD just from "over loading" your CPU.Such problems mostly occur from driver,registry or hardware errors.

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
Adobe is a real resource hog. Adobe installs all kinds of crap and background running apps. I always un-install all Adobe products. Can't stand them.

I only need a pdf reader. I download and install foxit pdf reader.

Turn off all sync functions of all your programs. All these new apps.....have turned our machines into servers for their apps.

Sync manually once a week or so.

Glenn Holland

Joined Dec 26, 2014
As of 6:00 PM San Francisco time, the problem with GMail is gone and CPU use is back to 5% to 10% while my Inbox is idle.

I don't know if I did anything that caused or (fixed it) or it was simply another case of the "Work Of The Devil".

However, I sent 10 problem reports to Google and that may have rattled the cage enough and they may have corrected the problem at their end.

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
A blue screen can occur with a good supply if something causes a lot of CPU cycles for an extended time. I very seldom have blue screens (about once per year).
No it won't.. I peg my computer to 100% practically all day long..
Insufficient heat sinking/lack of airflow,etc.. causing an overheating CPU can cause problems though..
You can check CPU temps with this..
http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/
and other tools..

and ditch IE.. go to Chrome browser (or Firefox).. much better

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
This kind of problem doesn't always go away just by switching browsers. I get something very similar when using Chrome. When visiting some sites, a video player attaches itself to Chrome, and sucks up all my memory.