WHAT WILL REPLACE TIN-LEAD SOLDER

mozikluv

Joined Jan 22, 2004
hello to all,

things are brewing up in Europe that all electronic products by July 2006 should use only lead free solders. full effect shall take hold by 2008.

my question is what will be the replacement of SN63 that will have the same low temperature melting point?

your comments please. thank you

moz

thingmaker3

Joined May 16, 2005
Tin-Antimony or Tin-Silver-Antimony are the early front runners. Tin-Bismuth and Tin-Indium are also being considered, as well as Tin-Silver-Copper.

None of them are all that good for electronic use, in my bold opinion. In addition to melting temperature, one must consider such things as liquidus flow properties, shear strength, aging response, fatigue behavior, and such.

If I may be forgiven for waxic politic... It would have been far better for Europe's governing bodies to look at containment & recycling of these heavy metals instead of swapping one poison for another. Note well that antimony is no more healthy or environmentally friendly than is lead. Lead is simply common enough that the politicians have heard of it.

Gorgon

Joined Aug 14, 2005
Hi Moz,
The RoHS directive is more than just the lead in the solder, here's some info:
http://www.ul-europe.com/en/news/ROHS_Directive.php

As far as I understand the new 'normal' solder to be used in the industries will have higher temperature. It looks like some 25-30 centigrades. So as an DIY I will stock my workshop with some rolls of the normal old solder, to be used on the 'old' components not made for this new hot world.

TOK ;)

mozikluv

Joined Jan 22, 2004
hello thingmaker3 & gorgon,

i agree to both your replies. what's europe trying to do, overhaul the whole electronic industry? is there a hidden agenda such as economic or political withstanding the environment issue?

moz