What type of rotary switch to I need?

josh623

Joined Dec 15, 2015
So I finally got the wiring figured out and it will work (from this post).

Here's the run down: In the pic below you will see 2 sets of 5 pins each, for a total of 10 pins under where it says "CL". There is a red jumper that jumps in between each set, only one set can be connected at a time.

I will be running an individual wire to each pin, and then to a switch in the NEMA 4 enclosure, which has a round cut out of about 1/2" (.475" to be exact). I need this to be a rotary switch that, with each position will connect only 2 pins (the jumper normally would do this). So I am thinking I need something like a 5 pole, 1 throw rotary switch, is this correct?

josh623

Joined Dec 15, 2015
Thanks Max! I guess i'm having trouble wrapping my head around which which will give the functionality I need... I basically need 5 positions, each of which will connect 1 input and 1 output wire at a time (i.e. a "pair), no more than that and the input wire will need to change with each position to one of the 5 input wires.

I do have this switch... '0' is off, and it has 5 positions:

I checked the resistance at each position of the knob, and that is what I wrote on it here... On Setting 1, terminals 1 and 2 will connect. At setting 3, terminals 6 and 5 will connect, etc.

But the problem is that I will have to run a wire outside of the NEMA 4 enclosure, which I don't really want to mess w/ ... I want to mount a small rotary switch in the blank spot on the front of my VFD.

So is a 5 pos, 2 pole rotary switch what I need you think?

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
So is a 5 pos, 2 pole rotary switch what I need you think?
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail...=sGAEpiMZZMvNbjZ2WlReYnqYHrQfuERshnVS5m0sP78=

Yes, there are 10 pins around the perimeter and two pins in the center. Since you just need a jumper, connect the two pins in the center together. Then find the five pairs from the ten pins on the perimeter. One pair will be connected through the switch as you turn to each position. The one I posted is break-before-make (it disconnects and no pins are connected before connecting the next pair) n

josh623

Joined Dec 15, 2015
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Alpha-Taiwan/SR2511F-0205-19R0B-E9-S-W/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMvNbjZ2WlReYnqYHrQfuERshnVS5m0sP78=

Yes, there are 10 pins around the perimeter and two pins in the center. Since you just need a jumper, connect the two pins in the center together. Then find the five pairs from the ten pins on the perimeter. One pair will be connected through the switch as you turn to each position. The one I posted is break-before-make (it disconnects and no pins are connected before connecting the next pair) n
That's awesome!! Thanks for posting that up! So basically I will connect the two poles together (two pins in the middle) and then simply find the connected pair/pins w/ my volt/resistance meter, and I'm good?

That one looks a little small for the cut out in my panel... I think I need a 1/2" thread OD, would any of the 2 pole, 5 position, 1 deck rotary switches work from on Mouser's site? Like this?

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
That's awesome!! Thanks for posting that up! So basically I will connect the two poles together (two pins in the middle) and then simply find the connected pair/pins w/ my volt/resistance meter, and I'm good?

That one looks a little small for the cut out in my panel... I think I need a 1/2" thread OD, would any of the 2 pole, 5 position, 1 deck rotary switches work from on Mouser's site? Like this?
Yes, search on those specs.

josh623

Joined Dec 15, 2015
Yes, search on those specs.
Sweet thank you so much, you've been a big help. I will likely post back up when I get it in if I have any questions about wiring, but I think per your explanation it should be pretty self explanatory w/ a meter =)

josh623

Joined Dec 15, 2015
Ok... lol. Time for the next question (sorry).

Does anyone know of a place where I can get this 5 position 2 pole switch which would have some sort of waterproofness to it? The other switches on the front of the box above are rated for that but I just don't know if I can get what I'm wanting. Thanks!

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Ok... lol. Time for the next question (sorry).

Does anyone know of a place where I can get this 5 position 2 pole switch which would have some sort of waterproofness to it? The other switches on the front of the box above are rated for that but I just don't know if I can get what I'm wanting. Thanks!
Is your board waterproof?

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Found this and it's IP-67 rated... But it's non-shorting, would this work?
Non-shorting is generally preferred (that means the previous connection is disconnected before the new pair is connected.

The datasheet says there is a model with and without stop rings (one lets you turn to a left and right limit and one verion lets you keep turning the knob clockwise or counterclockwise continuously.)

upload_2016-4-22_12-43-16.png

I don't see anything about water proof but that is your call.