what switch here used on a Joystick

LAOADAM

Joined Nov 21, 2018
The Q6 Edge power wheelchair has a Joystick CTLDC1467:
s-l1600 (1).jpg
Any one know what start switch it used? On the mid top of the picture there is a on/off select level that move forward start the power, checked inside there is no connection between this level and PCB board.

LAOADAM

Joined Nov 21, 2018
It's probably just a mechanical lever to operate a switch that is mounted on the PC board.
Post a photo of the inside of the controller, PCB
SG
Thank you sghioto, here attached the picture inside:
switch.jpg

There is nothing connection even underneath the PCB board.
and this is a repeat function level, say push level once power start, twice--speed 2 etc.

Could be Non-contact click kind? The two black block faced the level wheel can be Inductive component?

sghioto

Joined Dec 31, 2017
On the PCB the two black rectangular parts are labeled S5 and S6.
Edit: Surface mount reed switches actuated by small magnets inside the lever
SG

Last edited:

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
It is certainly a lot more complex than just a few switches, isn't it? There is probably an equal amount of electronics some place else to handle the commands. So now the real question is why does the TS want to know? Has something failed to function?

LAOADAM

Joined Nov 21, 2018
On the PCB the two black rectangular parts are labeled S5 and S6.
Edit: Surface mount reed switches actuated by small magnets inside the lever
SG
Thank you sghioto, this definitely make sense. one thing I still not clear is:
1. push level forward, power on;
2. push it again, speed 2 and 3 and 4.
3. any time push it backward, power off. is this means forward trig one reed, and backward trig another one?

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
So what is the reason for digging into the controls? Has some function failed? It is clear that this is not a simple control head. If there is a problem please describe the problem, only then will any advice be more than just a guess.

LAOADAM

Joined Nov 21, 2018
So what is the reason for digging into the controls? Has some function failed? It is clear that this is not a simple control head. If there is a problem please describe the problem, only then will any advice be more than just a guess.
Thank you MisterBill2.

The reason for digging into the controls is trying to reuse and modify it into 433MHz RC controlled, the start button is the first thing to dealing with.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
The reason for digging into the controls is trying to reuse and modify it into 433MHz RC controlled, the start button is the first thing to dealing with.
Is the unit still working?
If so I would have though it would be worth cleaning it up and selling as a spare unit rather than canabalise it.
There are Many 2dir/4dir joysticks on ebay for <$10.00 that should suit the purpose..
Max.

LAOADAM

Joined Nov 21, 2018
Is the unit still working?
If so I would have though it would be worth cleaning it up and selling as a spare unit rather than canabalise it.
There are Many 2dir/4dir joysticks on ebay for <$10.00 that should suit the purpose..
Max.
Thank you MaxHeadRoom,
Yes, it is good working, the reason I picked it up is trying to reused the power module which has a good quality H Bridge.

LAOADAM

Joined Nov 21, 2018
Thanks for every one's help.

Please let me extend a little. The picture in my previous post is a Joystick controller for power wheelchair that used hall effect joystick see the like: http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/30691.pdf
What I want to do is trying to use a simple Potentiometer joystick to replace the hall effect joystick, I checked both of them have almost same output by oscilloscope, just DC output, but the controller do not recognize former. here is the digit joystick link:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/5Pin-JoySt...h=item261508923c:g:WeEAAOSwUvVccYND:rk:3:pf:0

How can I make it?

Last edited:

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
What is it that you are wanting to control with this? Are you hoping to repair a wheel chair or similar device? Replacing linear hall effect devices with a resistor control does not seem like a wise choice, and it would require a different interface to the controls logic. So it is not simple nor cheap. And we still have no idea why you want to do this.

LAOADAM

Joined Nov 21, 2018
What is it that you are wanting to control with this? Are you hoping to repair a wheel chair or similar device? Replacing linear hall effect devices with a resistor control does not seem like a wise choice, and it would require a different interface to the controls logic. So it is not simple nor cheap. And we still have no idea why you want to do this.
Thank you MisterBill2,
The purpose doing so, I want to modify a old wheelchair into a RC control car, and my hand hold piece is a Arduino UNO set, that can easily use a Potentiometer joystick. When I parallel the two kinds of Joystick, the original controller does not recognize the Potentiometer joystick.

I measured both of their signal didn't see different.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
If the existing control is a set of two switches then an analog control will require a fair amount of additional circuitry to provide a variable speed. Or is there a separate speed control in addition to the direction control? And where does the arduino enter the picture? I am guessing that the link will be a radio link of some kind, while the present control system may be a wired link from the controller to the drive electronics.
Do you intend for the RC car to have dual drives to steer with? Or is your intent to add wheel steering? They are quite different to control and in their implementation. At least I am thinking that the wheel chair has independent wheel drives and not steering wheels.
So please let us know what you are wanting to create and we can provide a lot more assistance.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
OK, now I have an idea as to what the goal is, and I have a suggestion which is to abandon the idea of a traditional joystick and instead have a forward-reverse switch, which is that control, and a separate speed control and steering control. Consider that in a real car you have separate controls for speed, braking, forward/reverse, and steering. The steering and speed can still be on the one stick, with the direction selection being a separate switch.

And still I have a question about the link from the controller to the drive package. Is that a bundle of wires, or is it a digital link? And what sort of control scheme do you intend to use for the radio control link? The standard radio control scheme is not like any other scheme used anywhere. The standard radio control arrangement uses a string of pulses, the width of each pulse varying the analog control value of an analog servo device. I don't see how that would relate to what you are going to have to be doing to steer by adjusting the speed of the two drive motors. Converting the wheelchair drive does seem like a good approach, but the steering scheme would be quite different. That could be a quite powerful RC car if you use the same motors, though.

LAOADAM

Joined Nov 21, 2018
OK, now I have an idea as to what the goal is, and I have a suggestion which is to abandon the idea of a traditional joystick and instead have a forward-reverse switch, which is that control, and a separate speed control and steering control. Consider that in a real car you have separate controls for speed, braking, forward/reverse, and steering. The steering and speed can still be on the one stick, with the direction selection being a separate switch.

And still I have a question about the link from the controller to the drive package. Is that a bundle of wires, or is it a digital link? And what sort of control scheme do you intend to use for the radio control link? The standard radio control scheme is not like any other scheme used anywhere. The standard radio control arrangement uses a string of pulses, the width of each pulse varying the analog control value of an analog servo device. I don't see how that would relate to what you are going to have to be doing to steer by adjusting the speed of the two drive motors. Converting the wheelchair drive does seem like a good approach, but the steering scheme would be quite different. That could be a quite powerful RC car if you use the same motors, though.
Thank you MisterBill2.
Let me make my project a little more learn.
I am trying to modify a old Power wheelchair as a RC control car. I want to use the motors and the control unit which employ a Hall effect joystick to control the chair speed and direction.
Here what I want to do is to replace the Hall effect joystick by a Arduino joystick as the link above. But the unit did not recognize the new joystick.

the link from the controller to the drive package is a 6 line cable use CAN BUS. I am using 433MHz RC control pair.