What should i learn next, based on these things which i know so far?

KINDOFABEGINNER

Joined Oct 20, 2019
Hello! I just joined this forum to learn about electronics and circuits. and this list shows what I already know:)
I know how to solder.
I know that V= IR.;)
I know what each basic component does, like resistors, diodes, transistors, capacitors, etc.
Where should i go now? What are some circuits that can teach me electronics?

KINDOFABEGINNER

Joined Oct 20, 2019

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I would say one route would be the 555 IC, it has been around so long and popular that there is more circuits out there than probably any other IC.:cool:
Check out Mosfet's and get yourself a decent breadboard also.
Max.

KINDOFABEGINNER

Joined Oct 20, 2019
Because of this habit of reading short posts and articles, it's hard to read a complete book from the beginning to the end, so i want to learn by making simple circuits like blinking a led using electronic components.

narkeleptk

Joined Mar 11, 2019
Blinking a led just because is pretty pointless and nothing you would not pickup anyway. I prefer to have a problem to solve to help inspire something to build, then try and figure it all out to make it work. Think of something in your daily life you could improve to make it easier. Like a automatic pet feeder or something to assists your daily work. Once you have something in mind, start small and simple, then keep improving on it as you learn more and more.

KINDOFABEGINNER

Joined Oct 20, 2019
hi K,
Do you already have some components.?
E
Yes! I have resistors, electrolyte caps, ceramic caps, a breadboard, an op amp IC which i never learned how to use, some zener diodes which i don't know how they differ from black diodes, some leds, and a dc motor. And some transistors i bought as "common transistors package".:)

KINDOFABEGINNER

Joined Oct 20, 2019
Blinking a led just because is pretty pointless and nothing you would not pickup anyway. I prefer to have a problem to solve to help inspire something to build, then try and figure it all out to make it work. Think of something in your daily life you could improve to make it easier. Like a automatic pet feeder or something to assists your daily work. Once you have something in mind, start small and simple, then keep improving on it as you learn more and more.
An automatic pet feeder is a little above my current design skills.:D

narkeleptk

Joined Mar 11, 2019
An automatic pet feeder is a little above my current design skills.:D
Yea that is why its a learning process but it was just an example of something. Learn from something you need/want and learn it bit by bit.
My first project was a device for bench testing the functions of automotive ecu's complete with a cam/crank simulator. Way above anything I knew anything about. I have revised it a few times since but its a great tool for me now and I use it everyday.

KINDOFABEGINNER

Joined Oct 20, 2019
Yea that is why its a learning process but it was just an example of something. Learn from something you need/want and learn it bit by bit.
My first project was a device for bench testing the functions of automotive ecu's complete with a cam/crank simulator. Way above anything I knew anything about. I have revised it a few times since but its a great tool for me now and I use it everyday.
It sounds very interesting:) One is probably able to learn much through the process. Do you think i can make one of those things that have led bars and respond to frequency of the music? I just read that they work based on filters but i don't know if i can make filters and also if i need an oscilloscope. I don't have an oscilloscope and i can't afford one any time soon.

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi,
A LM3915 is an IC that is often used as a Audio Volume indicator.
What is the type of your OPA.?

E
May I ask your location.?

OBW0549

Joined Mar 2, 2015
Because of this habit of reading short posts and articles, it's hard to read a complete book from the beginning to the end...
Then do it the way the rest of us do: one chapter at a time.

Seriously, if you expect to do much with electronics-- especially if you want to learn how to design your own circuits-- you've simply got to wean yourself off of those short posts and articles and discipline yourself to do some serious reading that will take a lot of time and effort.

There's no way any of us can make it simple and easy for you.

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
You won't conquer electronics overnight. It's a bit like eating an elephant, one bite at a time. You will have to learn some basic theory and the mathematics behind it to resolve circuits. You may not like books but a basic introductory electronics book will serve you well. Just plugging circuits together to match the circuit is a start but to really understand what you are building you will have to learn the theory behind it and the calculations necessary to describe it.

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
Since you can light an LED, the next step would be to use a transistor as a switch to the LED on and off with a an applied voltage. In doing so, pay attention to which side of the transistor the LED and resistor are connected to, and why. Beginners usually get that wrong. Also make sure that you understand why the base of the transistor cannot be connected directly to a voltage source.

Once you understand that, see how you can add a capacitor to make the LED fade on or off. That will introduce you to the linear region of transistor operation.

Then a multivibrator will be within reach pf your understanding. It can flash two LEDs alternately.

Next, learn how you can use a transistor to amplify an audio signal.

You can learn about Zener diodes by making a simple voltage regulator.

Then learn how you can add a transistor to your simple regulator to give it the capability for higher current and better regulation.

This should keep you busy for a while!

Bob

Bob

KINDOFABEGINNER

Joined Oct 20, 2019
I like reading a good book, but i've tried many of them like "the art of electronics", or some of the books written by "forrest mims". They are a bit too much for a beginner. As someone who used to scroll instagram with no words but only pictures, It's not easy to read such books. But isn't it like if i build a frequency divider, i will learn about capacitors and resistors and circuits that are made of them?:)
Eric i have a LM324SN IC. I've search the pinout but i don't know how to actually use it.:D