What protocols should I pick?

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
I just ordered one of these babies to play with. It comes with 2 free protocols in addition to the several the already include.

I will be working mostly with PICs. I will probably be doing some USB stuff.

And I intend to build a KIM clone at some time with some 6502s I have around.

So I was thinking the USB protocol as one of them. But any other suggestions at which 2 I should get?

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
They are like $49 for 1 and they have a 3 pack for $99. But I just heard from NKC and he is going to try and get me a new deal, 30 protocols included! He did not have to do that. I will be crossing my fingers and I will be throwing more business his way. Only problem is I might need to wait a few more days to play with my toy! :)

He also turned me on to this little beauty. Looks like a nice price but I don't think I want to spend that kind of cash right now and I am not sure I need it. But is is tempting. He followed with an email pointing out a hack to make ut a 100mhz scope. He is cruel. :)

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Well I heard from the folks at NKC Electonics and they were able to get me in on the new deal with 30 protocols included with the analyzer. They could have just taken my order and shipped it but the went the extra mile. Very cool!

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Thats good. They should be included with the analyzer. Its just decoding a signal from the analyzer so they should all be free, or open source so people can develop their own. Let us know how you like it. I've been debating that one vs this one http://www.saleae.com/logic/.

I was doing the same. I read a lot of reviews and while the saleae is good a number of reviewers pointed to the one I purchased. I think it is faster and it is supposed to be better in how it does it's sampling.

Plus I believe the one I purchase has a free protocol API.

You should give the folks at NKC a look if you are going to buy. I never knew them before but I have come to know that they are good folks or (folk). :)

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
OK I am going to drag this old thread back out. I still need to pick my 30 protocols.

I got a few suggestions any others?

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
It doesn't seem to support USB 2.0, so you need to use the "slower" USB debugging.

Otherwise, IRDA is handy now and again, so is 1 wire and 3 wire. SPI + is another, though not fully around yet.

It'd be nice if you'd get a coupon for 2 protocols in the future, then get them as needed. You know no matter which ones you pick, you'll need one that you didn't pick. :eek:

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
It doesn't seem to support USB 2.0, so you need to use the "slower" USB debugging.

Otherwise, IRDA is handy now and again, so is 1 wire and 3 wire. SPI + is another, though not fully around yet.

It'd be nice if you'd get a coupon for 2 protocols in the future, then get them as needed. You know no matter which ones you pick, you'll need one that you didn't pick. :eek:

I finally got in! And you can order them one at a time!!!! I might just order several that I am sure I will use and leave a few in reserve.

If something happens to my account or whatever, at least I will have a few that I need. And if I put a few in reserve then I will always have a few left over for those ones I though I would never need. :)