What program do YOU use for schematic design?

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
I recently got a version of OrCAD PSPICE with a textbook I need for University, however I have yet to use this properly so can't say how good it is.

We use TINA at University for circuit design and simulation, a very useful tool I might add.

Mjollnir

Joined Apr 22, 2004
I got Orcad Pspice as well, it is very cool program once u get familiarized with it :)

Apart from that, I also use Modelsim, Leonardo's Spectrum and HDL designer for VHDL modelling/simulation

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Originally posted by Mjollnir@Jun 14 2004, 09:04 AM
I got Orcad Pspice as well, it is very cool program once u get familiarized with it :)
Ahh, good, I probably be asking you a few questions in the next few weeks and months about it then. I'm not sure exactly what package you got with it - mines called OrCAD Family Release 9.2 Lite Edition and contains PSpice simulation manager, PSpice model editor, PSpice Optimiser, Layout Plus and quite a few others. Does this sound like your version??

Mjollnir

Joined Apr 22, 2004
I had the lite edition as well, did u get it with one of those books by Allan R Hambley?

Basically u layout the circuit in Orcad Capture, and Pspice does the simulation/analysis.

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Originally posted by Mjollnir@Jun 14 2004, 12:54 PM
I had the lite edition as well, did u get it with one of those books by Allan R Hambley?

Basically u layout the circuit in Orcad Capture, and Pspice does the simulation/analysis.
It came with a book by Sedra and Smith, which I needed for VLSI design and CMOS technology. The package includes a series of existing designs which complement the textbook, however from my initial browsing of the SPICE examples it doesn't appear to explain how to create a project from scratch, just how to simulate and modify these existing projects. I think there is a textbook to help with creating projects from scratch however I'd rather play around with it and discover the program for myself (plus I'm a student so my financees pose restrictions on my purchasing power!!).

I take it from the words "had the lite edition" you now have another version of OrCAD?

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Originally posted by Mjollnir@Jun 15 2004, 01:18 AM
lets just say the internet is a wonderful place for software :D
Do share!! :D

I downloaded a program called SwitchCAD from the Linear Technolgies site - its a little bulky compared to the CAD programs I have used before and is somewhat limited in its applications. Certainly worth a look though.

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Hi All

Would you believe I'm still using Tango PCB? All it is is a CAD program, but it's easy to create library items. I have schematic libraries and parts libraries by now. I'm stuck with a dongle and no support, but it does pretty work.

Mjollnir

Joined Apr 22, 2004
Anyone use Emule? I been able to find most of my stuff there, but it can be a bit slow unless u sharing a fair bit of stuff and get a good rating..

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Originally posted by Mjollnir@Jun 17 2004, 07:46 AM
Here's a lil guide to using PSPICE
Cheers for that :)

For some reason it won't let me save it due to a path not existing in Acrobat Reader (time for an upgrade!). But I will definately download it and have a look when I can.

Dustooff

Joined Jun 23, 2004
Hi,
just to clear things up, I think of sch (schematic)
design as component layout to prepare for PCB design.
some of you seem to include sch simulation directly as
part of the process, this is fine by me, but most of my
simulation is done with the real components,
in saying that my work generally involves smaller designs,
and not limited by a student budget.
Anyway I use Eagle for sch & PCB layout.
http://www.cadsoft.de/
It has great parts lib's and scripting functions.

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Originally posted by Dustooff@Jun 24 2004, 06:12 AM
Hi,
just to clear things up, I think of sch (schematic)
design as component layout to prepare for PCB design.
some of you seem to include sch simulation directly as
part of the process, this is fine by me, but most of my
simulation is done with the real components,
in saying that my work generally involves smaller designs,
and not limited by a student budget.
Anyway I use Eagle for sch & PCB layout.
http://www.cadsoft.de/
It has great parts lib's and scripting functions.
Hi Dustoof, welcome to the forums :)

I find that most of the modern systems for drawing schematics actually have a simulation function buit in as standard. Also for more sophistocated designs, the practical simulation method (which is great fun :D) is impractical.

I had a look at your link, I assume that the version of this software that you use is free, or do you have the 'pay-for' version?

trussmky

Joined Jun 28, 2004
I have just used PCB123. it is a little clunky to get the components that you want, but you can create custom parts. I have not been able to test a curcuit, so I don't know if it has that capability. You can get multi-layer pcb's made from it though.

It is a free download from www.pcb123.com

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Originally posted by Mjollnir@Jun 17 2004, 07:46 AM
Here's a lil guide to using PSPICE

<Download not shown>
I have updated my version of Acrobat Reader and now get the message "File not found" when I Open or Save the download.

Any ideas?