What Mini Computer do you Pick?

afbound

Joined Jan 6, 2016
I just started using an Arduino, I have a small amount of programming knowledge, and I want to also stop using the family laptop to write my Arduino sketches. I have been looking at everything from Raspberry Pi to the Humming Bird Edge to Pine 64. There are a plethora of options and I would like to run an operating system that is "Linux". (I don't know where to start on that either.) I would rather it not have WiFi or Ethernet, it is going to be just a plain jane computing device that I can hook up to a screen, HDMI or RBG are fine, and plug a keyboard and mouse into. What do you suggest? Oh, did I mention I wanted it to be under $50.

Last edited:

BReeves

Joined Nov 24, 2012
I would say look for an older laptop on eBay, you may get lucky and find something for $50.00, just make sure it works before buying it.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
For $9 you can buy a C.H.I.P. computer; though lead times are currently long because Kickstarter pledges are still being fulfilled.

It has a 1GHz ARMv7 processor, 512MB RAM, and 4GB FLASH. Comes with Linux and LibreOffice pre-installed. Has USB for connecting a hub for keyboard/mouse. Video is composite unless you buy an HDMI or VGA adapter (which cost $15 and $10, respectively, IIRC).

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1598272670/chip-the-worlds-first-9-computer

EDIT: connectivity is through built-in WiFi or Bluetooth. More on capabilities here: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1598272670/chip-the-worlds-first-9-computer/description

Last edited:

Anujkumarr

Joined Feb 2, 2016
Hello Afbound,
I think you should not use old desktop computers because they are all very big in size and technically very low, so I will suggest you to purchase a old laptop to start your work. When you have enough money then you can replace it with latest technology laptop. You can also purchase used laptops at Exportersindia.com one of the leading laptops b2b marketplace based in India.

I just started using an Arduino, I have a small amount of programming knowledge, and I want to also stop using the family laptop to write my Arduino sketches. I have been looking at everything from Raspberry Pi to the Humming Bird Edge to Pine 64. There are a plethora of options and I would like to run an operating system that is "Linux". (I don't know where to start on that either.) I would rather it not have WiFi or Ethernet, it is going to be just a plain jane computing device that I can hook up to a screen, HDMI or RBG are fine, and plug a keyboard and mouse into. What do you suggest? Oh, did I mention I wanted it to be under $50.
The pine 64 (1g or 2g version) has a version of Ubuntu (a linux OS), which has the Arduino IDE ported. Just install the synaptic package manager, and search for arduino, and it will install the complete package.