What microprocessors do they teach?

Arm_n_Legs

Joined Mar 7, 2007
Hi, I am just curious about what microprocessors/controllers do they teach in schools/colleges/universities these days. Anybody has a hint?

Brevor

Joined Apr 9, 2011
Is there any better alternatives to the 8051 as the choice for a beginner's lesson in microprocessors/controller?
I would say no, you will be learning the basics about microprocessors. Once you learn one it's easy to learn to use the others. Microprocessors are like cars there are many different makes and models, with lots of different features. You pick the one that best suits the task you need to do,

Arm_n_Legs

Joined Mar 7, 2007
I would say no, you will be learning the basics about microprocessors. Once you learn one it's easy to learn to use the others. Microprocessors are like cars there are many different makes and models, with lots of different features. You pick the one that best suits the task you need to do,
Thanks for the comment. Anyway, so what do they teach in Schools these days?

Brian Griffin

Joined May 17, 2013
My campus used to teach 68HC11 but then changed to a PIC18F later. Some of the other faculty in my campus teach 8051 too. One of the other advanced subjects in my campus the students need to learn PIC24F. :)

b1u3sf4n09

Joined May 23, 2014
http://web.mst.edu/~daryl/nsf-ccli/publications/wimp_paper.pdf

We started on a stripped down version of the 8051, using assembly to operate some of the most basic elements of a processor. In fact, our first assignment had to be completely written in binary machine code, so that we would "gain an appreciation for how far things have come". From there, we built upon that introduction by learning about internal memory and different peripherals, naturally progressing to writing code in higher level languages.

Arm_n_Legs

Joined Mar 7, 2007
Hi b1u3sf4n09, interesting papers you have attached there. It is dated 2002. You did it the way you mentioned in 2002?

Hi Brian Griffin, thanks for the feedback. It seems many colleges are going the PIC way. I like the 8051 for its simplicity. I does PIC18 and PIC24 too, and they are not very different to me when you program in C.

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
My school teaches structure and microcode on their own DOP processor, and then they teach assembly programming on some small AVR.