What material do I need to adhere to this battery terminal?

BigKetchupp

Joined Nov 15, 2020
This is the inside of my handheld vacuum. The batteries are connected by what appears to be a very resilient adhesive to sheets of conducting aluminum and then soldered to the circuit board.

I have to replace one of the batteries but I couldn't remove the aluminum sheet without breaking it. Can you recommend a product I can purchase to reattach the batteries? I has to adhere on one end to the battery terminal but be able to solder to the other end.

Thanks!IMG_20201115_082519.jpg

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Are you sure the tape is aluminum and not nickel? Nickel is easily soldered with ordinary leaded solder. Nickel is also a little magnetic. Never tried lead free.

As for the surface, I use a grinding wheel in a Dremel hand tool. I think it gives a cleaner surface. Then I tin the surface before trying to solder to it.

If those are lithium cells, they are much more heat sensitive than NiCd or NiMH in my experience.

s14rs4

Joined Sep 15, 2016
I have repaired a battery pack like this. I used some copper braid stripped from a coax cable, flatten it and tin the ends. As others have said rub down the surface of the batteries and tin them with the solder, keep the heat to a minimum. Wear safety glasses, if you overheat the battery it could explode.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
If you use enough heat to solder you will damage the plastic seals and the battery will not last very long. So a spot weld or a mechanical force contact are the good choices. And I doubt very much that the material is aluminum, it is probably a stainless alloy.