What kind of timer do I need?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by richard3194, Jan 26, 2017.

1. richard3194

Thread Starter Active Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Hi. I'm trying to identify a timer product of some description. What I am after is a timer or time switch which has memories. Imagine that it could be set to hold time settings for 100 timings. Let us say each time setting was associated with a memory cell. That would mean cells from 0 to 99 could be selected and time set. The timer must have the capability of either repeating a cell, and auto increment, going from the last cell executed and on to the next cell, until it reaches the cell marked as the final cell to be executed. Can someone please point me to the kind of timer that has the functions I require. Thanks. Rich

Last edited: Jan 26, 2017
  2. mcgyvr

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 15, 2009
  3. KMoffett

AAC Fanatic!

Dec 19, 2007
    How do you want the timing? By day+hour+minutes? By hours/minutes/seconds ON to hours/minutes/seconds OFF? ???

Ken

4. Hypatia's Protege

Distinguished Member

Mar 1, 2015
    FWIW I advise you to take the easy route - to wit: Implementation of the described functionality via a uC in conjunction with the appropriate switch device{s} -- Absolute versatility is always the best 'answer' to a demand for specialized function!:cool:

Best regards and good luck!
    HP:)

PS
    FYI Devices of the described 'caste' are termed 'PLCs' (i.e. Programmable Logic Controllers) -- That said; I maintain my recommendation (above):)

Last edited: Jan 26, 2017
  5. AnalogKid

AAC Fanatic!

Aug 1, 2013
    What does the timer *do*? When a particular cell times out, does the timer device blink, ding, operate a relay to start up an F-15? Does the timer have 99 outputs, one for each cell?

ak

6. Alec_t

Expert

Sep 17, 2013
    It's unlikely you will find an off-the-shelf timer with all the functions you require. This is a project which calls for a microcontroller (which you would need to program).

Hypatia's Protege and djsfantasi like this.
  7. Hypatia's Protege

Distinguished Member

Mar 1, 2015
    There goes that AAC echo again (Re: post #4);) -- IOW Agreed!:D:D:D

TTFN

8. hp1729

Nov 23, 2015
    What kind or size and price did you have in mind? Search on "programmable logic controllers".

9. Hypatia's Protege

Distinguished Member

Mar 1, 2015
    He's describing PLC functionality right enough... Though said technology offers little over implementation via uC and switching devices -- and at greatly increased cost...

My $.02

Best regards

10. EM Fields

Jun 8, 2016
    It would help if you'd define the widths and timing accuracy required of the output pulses, since that'll determine the clock frequency and the number of bits needed to count up/down to get the edges right.
    Also, if you have a series of pulses which must be generated, one after the other, a properly programmed microcontroller is likely to be the best solution.

11. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    The PLC or μPC should do it, also it may be worth looking into a SmartRelay if it has the capacity for the timer storage.
    Max.

Hypatia's Protege likes this.
  12. richard3194

Oct 18, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2017
  13. richard3194

Oct 18, 2011
    I was thinking I only needed a programmable timer that could be triggered, with some sort of sequence mode. But as you say, maybe I should be focusing not on looking for a timer, but a PLC.