What is wrong with Circuit Wizard Red LED specs ?

TIMECARE

Joined Oct 27, 2017
On every spec sheet, a Red LED has a typical forward voltage of 2v and drains 20mA. Why is this not applied to CWZ?

upload_2017-10-27_23-5-19.png

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Nobody has noticed this before?
I'm sure some people have, but not around here. This place is populated with people that can figure LED circuits like tying their shoes. They wouldn't waste a minute of their time trying to find out if somebody wrote a program that might or might not be able to do this seemingly simple job.

TIMECARE

Joined Oct 27, 2017
I'm sure some people have, but not around here. This place is populated with people that can figure LED circuits like tying their shoes. They wouldn't waste a minute of their time trying to find out if somebody wrote a program that might or might not be able to do this seemingly simple job.
I came across this not because i started with this simple led circuit. My bigger project involves lots of LEDs and all calculations did not make sense and never imagined such a flaw could exist in a software like this.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
While I do not use Circuit Wiz there should be a way for you to create a new library part and add the part to an existing or new library. There should also be a way to modify an existing part changing its properties. This has been the case with other design software I have used.

Ron

TIMECARE

Joined Oct 27, 2017
I very much appreciate your reply for which I thank you. Allow me a comment thoug. If this program fails in such a tiny component, imagine how much possibly more with complex items! Then what brings you and other engineers here?

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
I very much appreciate your reply for which I thank you. Allow me a comment thoug. If this program fails in such a tiny component, imagine how much possibly more with complex items! Then what brings you and other engineers here?
You're assuming that we all use circuit simulators; which isn't necessarily true. Using one for simple circuits is like using a calculator to add 2+2.

Until recently, I hadn't used circuit simulators for almost 40 years. I had never used a logic simulator until recently; and only because I was trying to help students with their homework that required them to use specific simulators.

Now I've gotten lazy and use logic simulators to prove designs without having to bother breadboarding. But I still simulate most of my analog designs with the simulator between my ears.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Then what brings you and other engineers here?
This forum discusses may aspects and problems of electronics and circuit design.
Simulation can be used to help with some of those problems and questions.

How close simulator results mimic real circuits is largely determined by the accuracy of the part models used, and occasionally a model will be faulty and not give proper results.
When using a simulation you always must be aware of that, and look for results that don't make sense.
I've used Spice-based simulators (Multisim, Pspice, LTspice) for many years and have found that only infrequently is the odd (to me) behavior due to a bad model.
Most of the time it's because I made an incorrect analysis of how the circuit operates. :rolleyes:
And I have found many errors in my analog designs with the simulator before I ever breadboarded them.

TIMECARE

Joined Oct 27, 2017
While I do not use Circuit Wiz there should be a way for you to create a new library part and add the part to an existing or new library. There should also be a way to modify an existing part changing its properties. This has been the case with other design software I have used.

Ron
I cannot find it here!

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
I cannot find it here!
Then that tool is the worst of all worlds,

They charge to use it (LTSpice is free, TINA fro TI is free, many more are free or iOS apps that cost a few dollars)

They have incorrect values on the LED (or make the assumption that you wanted to use a white (3V) LED

They do not allow parts to be customized.

I think you should switch to a different tool or post your questions to the tool’s website if you expect your tool to be fixed/upgraded.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
I cannot find it here!
Contact the seller of your software and request a fix or a refund.

The next time you're looking for software that isn't free, do more research before buying.

Personally, I wouldn't buy, or use, any circuit simulator or schematic editor that made such cartoonish drawings. That reflects poorly on the person choosing to use such a tool.

TIMECARE

Joined Oct 27, 2017
Contact the seller of your software and request a fix or a refund.

The next time you're looking for software that isn't free, do more research before buying.

Personally, I wouldn't buy, or use, any circuit simulator or schematic editor that made such cartoonish drawings. That reflects poorly on the person choosing to use such a tool.
how come you are on this forum then?

TIMECARE

Joined Oct 27, 2017
That leads me to wonder why you are on this forum, too.
I never critized this software. Infact I find the animation of current flow of current and other instant reading instruments very interesting and helpful for beginners. I only asked if i was missing something .

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
I never critized this software. Infact I find the animation of current flow of current and other instant reading instruments very interesting and helpful for beginners. I only asked if i was missing something .
No, I don't think you are missing anything. What you presented does have a problem. Unfortunately nobody seems to be using the software who is a regular here so nobody can duplicate the problem. My read on the software, what I could find anyway, leads me to believe I can't create a part or edit a part. Since I can't actually look at a part in the code I can't say why in this case the part is doing what it is doing.

The manufacturers of most software like this normally have forums where questions like yours are answered. The merit with a forum devoted to a specific software is a user can find models, symbols and have questions related to the software answered. During my career I used Orcad which is high end and common in industry, today I tend to use LtSpice which has an online user group and endless support. Anyway, my best suggestion is try and find a Circuit Wizard User Group. I looked and can't find a user group? They do mention:

"Please note that technical support for this product is limited to the installation of the software and faults. Unfortunately we cannot help with the troubleshooting of users' circuits or designs.
If you have problems, we first recommend that you check to ensure that you have the latest product version installed by visiting here".

Again, based on your initial post and schematic I believe something is wrong. All I can do is speculate. You may want to contact the manufacturer as I can't find any user groups. I have no idea how popular the software is but you may want to start a user group on for example Yahoo.

Ron

philba

Joined Aug 17, 2017
I was responding to your criticism of people telling you they don't like that kind of software and not giving you the answer that you want. I would think most would accept that there isn't the support they want here.