What is with kids these days?

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
This reminds me why I quit teaching.
congrats bro! You made the list of desirable places to live. Right between the Gaza Strip, and Iran. Not cracking on you or nothing just saw that on the news of 25 most dangerous places. You were like 21 in between the other two.

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
When I was 7 years old, I corrected the teacher about the fact that the southern hemisphere of our planet is 600 miles larger in diameter than the northern hemisphere. She just gave me a blank stare.
I wish kids like you were idolized in school. Maybe we wouldn't have so much crime and gangster wanna be's.

If that were the case, maybe we would just have more sophisticated crime.

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
We have to broadcast to Highschools, this is exactly what we get.

Parents off the hook, angry beyond belief. I think High schools should be ran like a University.

Last edited:

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
When I went to school, if we misbehaved, the teacher would take a paddle to your butt. I did not dare say anything when I went went home because I would have 5 minutes to explain before getting punished again.

Now if the teacher does as much as raise his or her voice the parents are in the principal's office with lawsuit in hand.
Same here.

Now they have all this "Zero Tolerance" crap. That just makes the kids go all the way when breaking a rule, since they are going to get suspended anyway.

The school system seems to be more intent on producing obedient to authority students than educating them, and it's only making a large number more anti-authority than ever.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
Same here.

Now they have all this "Zero Tolerance" crap. That just makes the kids go all the way when breaking a rule, since they are going to get suspended anyway.

The school system seems to be more intent on producing obedient to authority students than educating them, and it's only making a large number more anti-authority than ever.
I used to have a teacher in elementary school that would drag the students down the hall by their ears to go talk to the headmaster. Whether they did something wrong or not. Her name was Mrs. Dagoosh. Funny name, I know, but she scared the cr@p out of me so badly that I could never forget it. One time one of my classmates went to the bathroom during class, and three minutes later Mrs. Dagoosh decided he'd been in there long enough, and went in and dragged him back to class--by the ear. Such a frightening woman to a small 7-year-old like myself. Nowadays she'd be hauled off to prison. It's amazing how much things have changed in the last several decades. I was raised by a wooden spoon to the backside when I was a little bad, or a paddle if I was very bad. It's hard to believe that what I was raised on is practically illegal now....

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
I've heard that there's a sinusoidal wave of sorts, with respect to the level conservativeness of generations of society. More liberal generations give birth to more conservative generations, and vise versa. I suppose each generation attempts to overcome perceived shortcomings in their parent generation. I haven't been around long enough to confirm this, but it sounds plausible enough to me. I think my generation will be a more conservative generation. My parents' generation is the one who took discipline out of the home. I am putting it back in. I've seen how splendidly reasoning with adolescents doesn't work, and we don't do that in my house. My kids know respect, how to obey, and how to not act like a demon. I spank them when they misbehave, and I don't care who knows it. I'm not afraid. That's how it all happened; as usual, a few misguided people somehow convinced the majority that the majority considered physical punishment to be child abuse, and people got scared to do it. Screw that. Call CPS if you don't like it. My kids don't have bruises or cigarette burns. They have clean beds and are well nourished. Most importantly, they are loved, and they know it. I tell them every day. I tell them before and after I spank them. I explain what the impending spanking is for, tell them I love them, spanking commences, and afterwards, reaffirmation, and they explain back to me what the spanking was for (after regaining their composure). I never hit out of anger. In fact, if I feel emotionally compromised I defer the spanking. My kids don't shy away when I raise my hand. I do it because I love them, and I don't want them to turn out as asshats like the people that OP, and all of us, have to deal with every day - I'm referring to MY generation. The generation who gets the fingers always pointed at us. But who raised us? Maybe some people should be a little more introspective.

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
I've heard that there's a sinusoidal wave of sorts, with respect to the level conservativeness of generations of society. More liberal generations give birth to more conservative generations, and vise versa. I suppose each generation attempts to overcome perceived shortcomings in their parent generation.
There can be an imbalance of perceived understanding ( Of parent ) and child development, one seems to Teach the other :WiNK: It seems to wash in both directions by generation, as well as ones understanding of Parent or Parents, who distance them selfs because of their need to provide (Taking away time from the home to be at work.) Which leads to a Child Deprivation and lack of discipline and positive re-enforcemnet. ( You have found the balance )

As far as spanking well I got mine, and then some, not all spanking can solve all the problems. ( I wish you would have been my dad hahaha) A society has a responsibility, to lead guide, provide examples of proper behavior, both in Government and Local Leadership.

Easy to say and harder to do. Our Village has grown exponentially.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Personally, I approve of spanking because it attaches an emotional tag to the lesson that needs to be learned. (Deep psychological voo-doo here.) When the opportunity to re-mischief occurs, the brain immediately gets a bad feeling about it and that reminds the child to think before acting.

I also believe in the "sine wave" theory. Others call it, "the pendulum swinging". The generation before me had gone through desperate times like the Great Depression and WWII. The only way they saw the world was strict conformity and white sidewall haircuts. A flattop haircut was considered as stretching the limits and a ducktail was the mark of a true hoodlum. They bred the hippie generation, which is me, and now I'm meeting 20 somethings that are so straight laced that they don't get my jokes and they wouldn't approve of George Carlin (let alone Lenny Bruce) if they knew who those people were.

For the benefit of Child Protective Services, I have only swatted one person on the diaper, and I only did it once, and now, we are best friends.

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
..... This is the text from the first email:

you know if somethings wrong when you cant see your count time yet you have picked anything yet there was a spot open in trip 5 and and checked it off then all of of a sudden my time disappered next time refreshed
It helps in such cases to cartoonify each word or combination of words, then line them all up in a strip, using a dictionary.

You can eventually see some bubbles or dischord in the frequencies.

Each word used needs to have correct correlation, including words like: IS, IT, AND, OF, YOU, ALL, MY, BE, THEN, OR

When you have really trouble, try to figure out how each of these helper words could correlate.

I'd really only reply:

you could keep verterfly and canalya birds in there

Even if this is not without doubt when you are a teacher.

If there is a linear progression over a time track when reading forwards, good, if it jumps back and forth, you simply see this person has serious trouble using grammar.

Words like IS, IT, AND, OF, YOU, ALL, MY, BE, THEN, OR
are not understood properly.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
I Her name was Mrs. Dagoosh. Funny name, I know, but she scared the cr@p out of me so badly that I could never forget it. .
Funny I had a teacher named Mrs. Dudash. Similar name and similarly funny. She was probably 5 foot nothing about 100 lbs and everyone was afraid of her. Even the huge football players. She did not take any crap from anyone.

She was a really tough teacher too. One of my favorites in school.

Oh and you did not dare call her Miss. She would go into this whole speech of how she earned the title of Mrs. Sort of the exact opposite of what you might expect today.