What is this meter used for?

piniiii

Joined Oct 30, 2019
Anyone knows what kind of measure this old analog meter gives? I have a voltmeter and ammeter of the same type but i dont know wich was the use for this one, probably temperature on celcius? by using an specific probe or something like that?
I dont know if this is the correct subforum for this topic and as you may already seen, im learning english
Thank you all!!MVIMG_20221121_230413.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

piniiii

Joined Oct 30, 2019
Okay, but dont it needs a voltage source? so it measures the voltage after the thermocouple? or this works in other way

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Also Ni.Cr means it needs a resistor made of nichrome wire? now im looking to wire it and testing!
No, that means it is for a type K thermocouple. They and the wires to the gauge from the couple need to be for a type K unit. There are other types of thermocouples that use different wire and gauges.

"NiCr/Ni thermocouples, also referred as K-type thermocouples, consist of two wires.
One wire is of pure nickel, the other is made of a nickel-chrome alloy.
Through the Seebeck-effect, a thermoelectric voltage is generated at the location where the two wires contact each other.
The contact point is the measuring point. The voltage generated at the contact point is temperature dependent.
The value of the voltage present can be converted to be available in degree temperature.
The range of application for these thermocouples lies between 0°C and 1100°C, with an accuracy of (+ -) 1,5°C. "
From here - https://ts.kurtzersa.com/electronic...olderlexicon/begriff/nicrni-thermocouple.html

Last edited by a moderator:

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Been years since I have seen and worked with gauges like that. Many were on hand held pyrometers. Actually they were pretty cool devices of their day.

Ron

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
Could you check the back-side of that meter for any manufacturer name? The SH or SI logo is pretty cool. Hopefully the whole manufacturer's name is on the backside with the model number and some specs.

piniiii

Joined Oct 30, 2019
No, that means it is for a type K thermocouple. They and the wires to the gauge from the couple need to be for a type K unit. There are other types of thermocouples that use different wire and gauges.

"NiCr/Ni thermocouples, also referred as K-type thermocouples, consist of two wires.
One wire is of pure nickel, the other is made of a nickel-chrome alloy.
Through the Seebeck-effect, a thermoelectric voltage is generated at the location where the two wires contact each other.
The contact point is the measuring point. The voltage generated at the contact point is temperature dependent.
The value of the voltage present can be converted to be available in degree temperature.
The range of application for these thermocouples lies between 0°C and 1100°C, with an accuracy of (+ -) 1,5°C. "
From here - https://ts.kurtzersa.com/electronic...olderlexicon/begriff/nicrni-thermocouple.html
Amazing info! im already doing some test and, it is really precise, anyway i only heat the thermocouple at a temperature of 480, its the max temp my smd rework station can handle

piniiii

Joined Oct 30, 2019
Could you check the back-side of that meter for any manufacturer name? The SH or SI logo is pretty cool. Hopefully the whole manufacturer's name is on the backside with the model number and some specs.
i also have a voltmeter and ammeter the same as the one posted and they dont have any branding, or serial number, on the back of them its only the two terminals, and this one have a lever to adjust the gauge, i dont know where they came from. they were going to the trash on a local factory i work, and i didnt resist to take and test them, they all work.
on this factory theres a lot of vintage things that we still use, theres a "hobart brothers" stick welder, that thing is the coolest thing, its being used to weld with basic eletrodes 2 days every week and it works like a charm. the oldest cooworkers say it were used for military equipment near 100 years ago here in argentina

Last edited:

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Amazing info! im already doing some test and, it is really precise, anyway i only heat the thermocouple at a temperature of 480, its the max temp my smd rework station can handle
Well alrighty. If you can live with the resolution just get yourself a nice small Type K thermocouple and use it. Those old meters last about forever. :)

Ron

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Pretty cool history. Years ago I did quite a bit of interfacing with Landis and Staeffa, later Landis and Gyr who were eventually bought by Siemens. Mostly their building technologies group. The same Siemens dating back to Siemens & Halske going back a long way. Pretty cool history and devices along the way to today.

Ron