What is this element and how to check it?

LesJones

Joined Jan 8, 2017
It is an input filter choke on the mains input. It has two windings. One for live and one for neutral. It is part of the circuit to reduce electrical noise at the switching frequency from getting into the mains supply and causing interference with other equipment. It will also attenuate electrical noise that is on the mains supply entering the supply. To check it measure the resistance of each winding. They should have a low resistance reading of less than a few ohms. Both windings should have the same resistance. You then need to use a high voltage insulation tester (Megger.) to test the insulation between the windings and between each winding and the core. You could also check that the inductance of the windings matched the manufacturers data sheet.

Les

Last edited:

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
200 ohms (400 ohms total) sounds unusually high for a common mode choke.

I you would, check all of the possible pairs of contacts. The two pairs that show the lowest resistance are the windings.

Just in case it is helpful:

upload_2017-11-29_18-7-3.png

UnnamedUser159

Joined May 3, 2016
i am not telling 200Ohms but "1"

Now am desoldering the 4 legs to measure out of circuit because i see Resistances on the Winding`s ends

UnnamedUser159

Joined May 3, 2016
yes. the both of them are 0.7 Ohms. There is 1 value question:
IMG_20171129_134715.jpg

on the previous image i have showed the 4 diodes from bridge rectifier

above them is this item - L1. About it there are 2 resistance and one of them is missing. It should be like the other one ?

thanks

* i am the reason for its missing !

SLK001

Joined Nov 29, 2011
Why don't you share with us the reason you are tearing apart your power supply?

It does look like R14 is missing - my guess is that it is the same value as R17. Probably a pair of bleeder resistors in the MEG range.

UnnamedUser159

Joined May 3, 2016
Hi @SLK001

In short - this is power supply from audio amplifier. As usual i sometimes take devices for repair that i cannot repair "nice and easy".

The idea was element by element check unfortunately...

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
It is an input filter choke on the mains input. It has two windings. One for live and one for neutral. It is part of the circuit to reduce electrical noise at the switching frequency from getting into the mains supply and causing interference with other equipment. It will also attenuate electrical noise that is on the mains supply entering the supply. To check it measure the resistance of each winding. They should have a low resistance reading of less than a few ohms. Both windings should have the same resistance. You then need to use a high voltage insulation tester (Megger.) to test the insulation between the windings and between each winding and the core. You could also check that the inductance of the windings matched the manufacturers data sheet.

Les
The only one I ever saw fail, was breakdown between the windings - I thought the design and construction was supposed to make that impossible, but it happened.

LesJones

Joined Jan 8, 2017
Hi Ian,
That was the mode of failure of the only one that I have seen fail. There was no plastic former for the windings and the winding insulation was breaking down to the core. The unit was blowing the input fuse so I was expecting The main switching device to have failed short circuit. It made for a nice easy fix as I found a suitable replacement in my junk box. I find the TS's fault finding method rather odd just testing components without logically locating the fault.

Les.

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
Hi Ian,
That was the mode of failure of the only one that I have seen fail. There was no plastic former for the windings and the winding insulation was breaking down to the core. The unit was blowing the input fuse so I was expecting The main switching device to have failed short circuit. It made for a nice easy fix as I found a suitable replacement in my junk box. I find the TS's fault finding method rather odd just testing components without logically locating the fault.

Les.
Mine was a TV with a VGA connector that was being used on the PC. Always unplugged when not in use, it made a funny smell one time I plugged it in. Fully prepared to scrap it, I opened it in case of useful salvage - saw how easy, and fixed it.

Used a toroidal type to replace it, I could better see the plastic shell under the windings.