What Is This Currency Worth?

Glenn Holland

Joined Dec 26, 2014
I have a collection of Western European coins and paper currency from the 1990s.

I've taken these coins and bank notes to a currency exchange here in San Francisco and they tell me that all these countries have converted to the Euro and the currency is now worthless.

Is this true or is there some way to cash it in?

Attachments

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
I would say that is correct. There is no value on the currency exchange.
The only value would be as collectors' items thousands of years from now.

Glenn Holland

Joined Dec 26, 2014
I would say that is correct. There is no value on the currency exchange.
The only value would be as collectors' items thousands of years from now.
That's what I was thinking.

I might put them on Craigslist for someone who's interested in collecting antiquated bank notes.

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
According to the post #4 link the German national bank should accept your German currency with no time limit.
As for your Czech currency, I don't know if a site like this would be of use to you?

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
I am glad we still have pennies. In the 1950's some states actually had "mil's" which were plastic chips worth 0.1 penny. We collected them. Nostalgia.

Last edited:

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
I am glad we still have pennies. In the 1950's some states actually had "mil's" which were plastic ships worth 0.1 penny. We collected them. Nostalgia.
I'm inheriting some wheats of various years, my wife's uncle died he was 92 I can't wait to go through them.

kv

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
A good part of my career was spent spanning the globe. Most times with good planning I would leave a country with not enough currency to bother standing in lines for currency exchange at airports. I just kept tossing it in a big cake tin. Most during the 70s. I even saved some MPC from Vietnam as well as some South Vietnam currency, we know how that played out. I doubt there is any value to any of it. I was going to make a table top with it at one point but never did. There is also a bunch of change (coins) in the tin. After the wife and I are dead the kids can figure it out. :)

Something of small interest was a few 1943 steel pennies I have and I keep with some 1943 head stamped steel cased 45 ACP rounds of ammunition. During 1943 in an effort to conserve copper and brass for the war effort the US Government minted steel rather than copper pennies and also manufactured steel cased 45 ACP ammunition rather than brass cased. The cartridges like the pennies have a zinc wash over the steel.

1943 Steel Cases.png

Ron

Last edited: