What is the main principle of charging a supercapacitor?

Taha Muhammed

Joined Jun 15, 2016
Does the Super Capacitors have the same principle of charging as of the general Electrolytic or Ceramic Capacitors. Do they also depend on the charging time constant 5RC?

Taha Muhammed

Joined Jun 15, 2016
Thanks I have an another question.
if i pass theoretically 2.75MA current through 2m(Milli) ohm resistor of wattage 2W for about 500us(micro) will it get burned?

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
If you really mean 2.75 million amps then the wires will have a problem never mind the resistor. It would generate 5.5kV across the resistor.

Taha Muhammed

Joined Jun 15, 2016
If you really mean 2.75 million amps then the wires will have a problem never mind the resistor. It would generate 5.5kV across the resistor.
Sorry, No i am taking about 1 Kilo Amps of current, but the point is its for about 500 micro seconds(10 to the power -6)

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
I can find no data to get a definitive answer. The resistors are rated for 10 times the rated power for 5 seconds but there is no spec for 500uS. The wires on the three watt resistors are 0.7mm diameter and assuming they are copper wire the fusing current for that diameter is about 50A. I don't know how that wire would take to melt at 1000A.

Where are you planning to get 1000A from - a super capacitor? They have current limits too and I don't know of any rated for that current.

JUNELER

Joined Jul 13, 2015
Hi,

1000 amperes in 0.01 ohms in 500x-6 seconds,your question is ,is the resistor will blown? or burned?.
First of all what kind of theories you want to prove here, and where it to be use.
What type of power supplies you will use to deliver such a high current.

Taha Muhammed

Joined Jun 15, 2016
I am giving this kind of a wave to a capacitor at an interval of 1 second. The specification of the capacitor are 470 micro farad, 100 V.I am trying to charge it 000.jpg
through a resistor of 12ohm,but with each cycle i am getting very little increase in the voltage(2 miliVolt) of my capacitor,before this i used a capacitor 1 microfarad 60V,and there was a significant increase in the voltage about 250 miliVolt with each cycle
Note: I Provide this wave at an interval of about 1 second,also i suspect the problem of charging is in the charging cycle

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
I am giving this kind of a wave to a capacitor at an interval of 1 second. The specification of the capacitor are 470 micro farad, 100 V.I am trying to charge it View attachment 117107
through a resistor of 12ohm,but with each cycle i am getting very little increase in the voltage(2 miliVolt) of my capacitor,before this i used a capacitor 1 microfarad 60V,and there was a significant increase in the voltage about 250 miliVolt with each cycle
Note: I Provide this wave at an interval of about 1 second,also i suspect the problem of charging is in the charging cycle
Your scavenging energy from something -- definitely not lightning (I had a suspicion). Where do you expect the 1,000A to come from?

Taha Muhammed

Joined Jun 15, 2016
the time period of my charging wave is 500 micro seconds, so in order to charge my capacitor of 470 micro farad the time period of my charging circuit is given by 5RC that must be less than or equal to 500 micro seconds, so my resistance R is found asCapture.JPG
so theoretically i need a resistor 212 milli ohms to charge my capacitor, so in order to charge my super capacitor i need a resistance of 1 mili ohm,
now if i theoretically charge my super capacitor to 5.5v using a resistor of 1 mili ohm , using ohms law i find my current i equal to
Capture.JPG

currently i don't a resistance in mili ohms , so i suspect thats why my increase in voltage to my capacitor of 470micro farad is small,if a theoretically use the resistance of 212 milli ohms I can charge it with quickly, as far as my supercap's charging is concerned i find it more difficult

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
No. I am talking about the capabilities of the source and the internal resistance of the source.
Say I connect a 1 milliohm resistor across a standard AA battery. I sure won't get a current of 1500A.

Taha Muhammed

Joined Jun 15, 2016
No. I am talking about the capabilities of the source and the internal resistance of the source.
Say I connect a 1 milliohm resistor across a standard AA battery. I sure won't get a current of 1500A.
current is the thing that i cant measure because i tried o measure the current through a 1 ohm resistor in series to am ammeter but it does not show anything i think because of the very fast time response of my wave,can you suggest some method or alternative to this problem

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Super capacitors have a specification for how quickly they can be charged. Super capacitors and ultra capacitors are NOT like regular capacitors in the charge/discharge frequencies you would normally use. A super capacitor is not a super conductor at the same time. as I like to say about any component when looking for information, READ THE DATASHEET.