What is the difference between Electrolytic & Tantalum capacitors?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nornandxor

Joined Dec 11, 2017
Hi,
I ordered some Electrolytic SMD capacitors for my counter project and later I saw those Tantalum capacitors, then I started to wonder about whether to keep the Electrolytic ones or order the Tantalum capacitors, knowing that the Tantalum look better on the circuit because of their size!
What are your recommendations guys?
Thanks
nor

nornandxor

Joined Dec 11, 2017
Th
Hello,

The following page will tell you a lot about those capacitors:
http://my.execpc.com/~endlr/electrolytic.html

And here is the new page from the site:
http://www.iequalscdvdt.com/

Bertus
Thanks Bertus for the link, yet I'm not a real big fun of those prolonged articles. Also, I could go and google it before I post my question here. But I thought I will get a quick short answers from valuable prifessional guys like you that would save my time and efforts. I wanted to hear your real life experiences about both of those types of capacitors, and hopefully I can come up with a good conclusion of what to do?
I just dont want to get use to look for answers from outside allaboutcircuits!
Thanks

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
A clarification on terminology is required.

Electrolytic and tantalum are not mutually exclusive terms.

Capacitors may be:

polar or non-polar
electrolytic or non-electrolytic
aluminum or tantalum

Ceramic, mica, mylar, polyethylene , polypropylene, aluminum, tantalum, etc. are materials used in the construction of the capacitor. Specifically, it refers to the dielectric material that separates the parallel plates of the capacitor. The material could be a solid, liquid or gas. A liquid electrolyte is often used and hence the term electrolytic capacitor.

Electrolytic capacitors made with aluminum (or aluminium) are generally lower priced than those made with tantalum.
Tantalum capacitors have higher capacitance per volume.
Capacitors made with tantalum can be either polar and non-polar though the polarized form is more common.

nornandxor

Joined Dec 11, 2017
A clarification on terminology is required.

Electrolytic and tantalum are not mutually exclusive terms.

Capacitors may be:

polar or non-polar
electrolytic or non-electrolytic
aluminum or tantalum

Ceramic, mica, mylar, polyethylene , polypropylene, aluminum, tantalum, etc. are materials used in the construction of the capacitor. Specifically, it refers to the dielectric material that separates the parallel plates of the capacitor. The material could be a solid, liquid or gas. A liquid electrolyte is often used and hence the term electrolytic capacitor.

Electrolytic capacitors made with aluminum (or aluminium) are generally lower priced than those made with tantalum.
Tantalum capacitors have higher capacitance per volume.
Capacitors made with tantalum can be either polar and non-polar though the polarized form is more common.
Thanks MrChips,
So, based on what you just mention I can use either one (tantalum or electrolytic) to do the same job, right?

Last edited:

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Thanks MrChips for the entry. So, my understanding based on what you just said is I can use either one

Thanks MrChips,
So, based on what you just mention I can use either one (tantalum or electrolytic) to do the same job, right?
Yes and no.
The specific circuit application matters.

If the capacitor is to be used for decoupling the power supply rails in order smooth out the supply voltage at low frequencies, then aluminum or tantalum capacitors will be ok. For attenuating high frequencies, a non-electrolytic ceramic chip capacitor is a better choice.

If the capacitor is to be used for providing a stable RC time-base then aluminum or tantalum are poor choices. A non-polar mylar or plastic capacitor is a better choice.

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
Thanks MrChips,
Tantalum is a type of Electrolytic capacitor , it uses Tantalum metal as the Anode and a dilectric paste, whereas ordinary electrolytic caps use Aluminium and paper wadding,.

Tantalum are highly explosive when connected the wrong way round, but are small in size for their capacitance value compared with Aluminium types, and are good as smoothing supply.

nornandxor

Joined Dec 11, 2017
For attenuating high frequencies, a non-electrolytic ceramic chip capacitor is a better choice.
So, just like I mentioned in my first post, I have a counter circuit that I'm working on ( I need a good cap for the counter depbouncing switch), and based on your above statement it is better for me to forget about the tantalum and electrolytic and just use a Ceramic cap, right?

nornandxor

Joined Dec 11, 2017
Keep right on waiting. You were given some links with good explanations but they aren't worth your time to read. Yet you expect others to produce tutorials here for your benefit.
Well, it looks like I got what I wanted so far without going through the valuable links were given to me, thankfully, by Bertus. I don't see whats the point of your entry here, with all respect Ebp!
Another thing Ebp, it is such honor for me to chit chat with you guys here instead of just throwing members to an outside links (though they are beneficial too)! It is a forum were everyone can share his views and thoughts! ;)

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Well, it looks like I got what I wanted so far without going through the valuable links were given to me, thankfully, by Bertus. I don't see whats the point of your entry here, with all respect Ebp!
Another thing Ebp, it is such honor for me to chit chat with you guys here instead of just throwing members to an outside links (though they are beneficial too)! It is a forum were everyone can share his views and thoughts! ;)
I grew up before the days of internet and online instant access to information. I got most of my knowledge from reading.
Instant or otherwise, reading datasheets, application notes and technical bulletins still play a huge role in my professional advancement.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
I grew up before the days of internet and online instant access to information. I got most of my knowledge from reading.
Instant or otherwise, reading datasheets, application notes and technical bulletins still play a huge role in my professional advancement.
As did I. Yet even with the internet I still try to verify and read most links that are given when a question here or anywhere is answered. Even when it isn't my question.

nornandxor

Joined Dec 11, 2017
As did I. Yet even with the internet I still try to verify and read most links that are given when a question here or anywhere is answered. Even when it isn't my question.
You old guys ;)
Our nowadays generation prefers short and into the point texts. :D
All respect to all of you!:)

Status
Not open for further replies.