What is that connector on LCD Driver Board?

Aleksey Shurtygin

Joined Dec 21, 2018
1595288881271.png
Does anyone know what kind of connector is that black one soldered on the board with blue/white/black wires that is opposite of the yellow connector that connects to the LCD panel? Its not the standard 2.54mm dupont connector, its smaller.

Anyone knows?

Thanks!

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
That could be just a double row, 0.1" pitch pin header. Are the contacts male (pins) or female (sockets)? My best guess is that the wires have female connectors (e.g., Berg or Berg-like) and appear to be inserted onto the pins of the connector.

Male header:
1595322245504.png
Berg female connector (single contact):
1595322513110.png

Last edited:

Aleksey Shurtygin

Joined Dec 21, 2018
That could be just a double row, 0.1" pitch pin header. Are the contacts male (pins) or female (sockets)? My best guess is that the wires have female connectors (e.g., Berg or Berg-like) and appear to be inserted onto the pins of the connector.
No, I do not think these are 0.1" pitch pin headers. They are smaller, more like 1/16" (~2mm) pitch. I've attached close up with a 0.1" (2.54mm) header for comparison. Its clearly visible that the one on the board is smaller.IMG_20200721_090842_cut.jpg

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Absent dimensions from you, it could have been anything. Pin headers with 2-mm spacing are also common as are the shrouded female counterpart (one place is with LCD's). The female component looks like individually crimped pins, rather than insulation displacement (IDC); although, you might be able to use an IDC connector.

Aleksey Shurtygin

Joined Dec 21, 2018
Absent dimensions from you, it could have been anything. Pin headers with 2-mm spacing are also common as are the shrouded female counterpart (one place is with LCD's). The female component looks like individually crimped pins, rather than insulation displacement (IDC); although, you might be able to use an IDC connector.
Thanks! I am not sure what dimensions are important to say what kind of connector it is. I just mentioned that its smaller than standard 2.54mm dupont connector. What other dimensions could be useful?

Unfortunately it seems they are not as common as I thought. I tried to search for "2mm dupont connector" but all I get are those 2.54mm connectors. :( Do you happen to have a link as an example?
IMG_20200721_110653.jpg
And yes, these are individually crimped pins and not IDC. Here is the photo of female connector in case it helps.

Aleksey Shurtygin

Joined Dec 21, 2018
Do you have a digital caliper?
The standard IDC I use is .1" spacing and .025" square pins.
Max.
No, unfortunately I only have non-digital one. But even without digital readout its clearly less than .1" spacing. The pins themselves are thinner on the board too. I also have 2.54mm (.1") connectors, both male and female and they are larger. See my previous post with a photo.

Aleksey Shurtygin

Joined Dec 21, 2018
Actually let me clarify a bit. I do see both 2.0mm male and female headers available online that I can solder to the board directly. However I am looking for a set of "crimpable" connectors in order to extend the wires.
1595348410394.pngSimilar to the ones commonly available. Like this for example: https://www.amazon.com/KINCREA-Housing-Connector-Adaptor-Assortment/dp/B07DF9BJKH

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Actually let me clarify a bit. I do see both 2.0mm male and female headers available online that I can solder to the board directly. However I am looking for a set of "crimpable" connectors in order to extend the wires.
View attachment 212698Similar to the ones commonly available. Like this for example: https://www.amazon.com/KINCREA-Housing-Connector-Adaptor-Assortment/dp/B07DF9BJKH

I have purchased those already populated, one end or both with connector.
Max.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Here is sort of what you may be looking for: https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/jae-electronics/LY10-DC12BR/LY10-DC12BR-ND/5438232

Here's a bigger list: https://www.digikey.com/products/en/connectors-interconnects/rectangular-connectors-housings/319?FV=89|8489,512|346565,-8|319,28|392960,518|349421,518|390971,ii2|2172&quantity=0&ColumnSort=0&page=2&k=connector&pageSize=25&pkeyword=connector

Looking for a specific connector is a job for you to do.
1) Pick a distributor, like Mouser, DigiKey, Arrow, etc. who you are comfortable with (e.g., it ships to your country or is in your country).
2) Or, pick a brand like JST, Molex, TE, .Samtec ... a lots of them. Go to that site and search.
3) Know the basic description: pitch, number of rows, number of contacts, "crimp" (for wires), shrouded or not shrouded.
4) Then start looking. In the example above (it is not an exact match), notice that the contacts are not included with the connector. Those are usually, but not always listed with the connector.
5) In this case, assuming the pitch is about 2 mm, DO NOT look for Dupont or Berg. Those are usually 0.1 pitch with 0.025" square pins.
6) Did you notice in the example you show that the pitch is 2.54 mm = 0.1"?
7) Be wary of Amazon, etc. unless you want to buy without having a real datasheet to work with.

Here is what the contacts for the above connector look like:

1595349466066.png

Gold is often the best, but is also more expensive.

Aleksey Shurtygin

Joined Dec 21, 2018
Here is sort of what you may be looking for: https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/jae-electronics/LY10-DC12BR/LY10-DC12BR-ND/5438232

Here's a bigger list: https://www.digikey.com/products/en/connectors-interconnects/rectangular-connectors-housings/319?FV=89|8489,512|346565,-8|319,28|392960,518|349421,518|390971,ii2|2172&quantity=0&ColumnSort=0&page=2&k=connector&pageSize=25&pkeyword=connector

Looking for a specific connector is a job for you to do.
1) Pick a distributor, like Mouser, DigiKey, Arrow, etc. who you are comfortable with (e.g., it ships to your country or is in your country).
2) Or, pick a brand like JST, Molex, TE, .Samtec ... a lots of them. Go to that site and search.
3) Know the basic description: pitch, number of rows, number of contacts, "crimp" (for wires), shrouded or not shrouded.
4) Then start looking. In the example above (it is not an exact match), notice that the contacts are not included with the connector. Those are usually, but not always listed with the connector.
5) In this case, assuming the pitch is about 2 mm, DO NOT look for Dupont or Berg. Those are usually 0.1 pitch with 0.025" square pins.
6) Did you notice in the example you show that the pitch is 2.54 mm = 0.1"?
7) Be wary of Amazon, etc. unless you want to buy without having a real datasheet to work with.

Here is what the contacts for the above connector look like:

View attachment 212702

Gold is often the best, but is also more expensive.
5) I see, this is where one of my mistakes probably was. I was concentrating on Dupont without realizing what exactly it represents)
6) yes, I was just showing an example of a kit I was looking for (kit that would include both, contacts and housings)

So, it appears that there is no ready to use kits and I would need to cherry pick each part individually. Would that be correct assumption?

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
So, it appears that there is no ready to use kits and I would need to cherry pick each part individually. Would that be correct assumption?
"Kit" has several meanings. If you mean a selection of parts, that is what a distributor is for. No one will provide a "kit" of all the different 2-mm pitch female connectors and ensure that the one you want is in that mix. There are just too many to contemplate collecting for you, and it would be quite expensive.

I have done my best to help you help yourself. You have not provided enough information for me to do it for you. I did try, but there are so many details your pictures lack.

Good luck.

Aleksey Shurtygin

Joined Dec 21, 2018
"Kit" has several meanings. If you mean a selection of parts, that is what a distributor is for. No one will provide a "kit" of all the different 2-mm pitch female connectors and ensure that the one you want is in that mix. There are just too many to contemplate collecting for you, and it would be quite expensive.

I have done my best to help you help yourself. You have not provided enough information for me to do it for you. I did try, but there are so many details your pictures lack.
I appreciate your help and explanations. It does confirm that what I am looking for is simply not available and I would have to go and cherry-pick them individually, which is perfectly fine with me.

I was just hoping that there are kits already available just like for 2.54mm connectors and I was just not searching properly or looking for a wrong thing. Or it has some well-known name (like Dupont or JST or smth else) that would point me in the right direction.

But either way, thanks for the help! :)

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Let's see if this works.

Go to DigiKey (digikey.com) : https://www.digikey.com/products/en...172&quantity=&ColumnSort=0&page=1&pageSize=25

That should give three pages. On page one, some candidates are #1,2,5,6,10,11,12,18,19,and 21. (That's just for practice.)

#21 (Amphenol/ICC) #69307-020LF looks pretty good. I am sure there are others on the next two pages. You need to also get contacts. Buy more than you need, because everyone screws up crimping once in awhile. The plastic used is usually easy to machine. So for example, if something that fits but has tabs on it that you don't want, you can sand them off. I do that frequently. In fact, I often get a much longer connectors and cut it to the number of contacts I want.

Here is a direct link to that connector. Amphenol is a good name.
https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/amphenol-icc-fci/69307-020LF/609-2758-ND/1090062

You will need to get contacts appropriate for the wire size you have.

Do you have a crimper? They are also sized by the wire. A decent one will be $15 to $20.

Aleksey Shurtygin

Joined Dec 21, 2018
Let's see if this works.

Go to DigiKey (digikey.com) : https://www.digikey.com/products/en/connectors-interconnects/rectangular-connectors-housings/319?k=connector&k=&pkeyword=connector&sv=0&pv69=349292&sf=1&FV=512|346565,512|404675,-8|319,88|137796,89|8489,ii2|2172&quantity=&ColumnSort=0&page=1&pageSize=25

That should give three pages. On page one, some candidates are #1,2,5,6,10,11,12,18,19,and 21. (That's just for practice.)

#21 (Amphenol/ICC) #69307-020LF looks pretty good. I am sure there are others on the next two pages. You need to also get contacts. Buy more than you need, because everyone screws up crimping once in awhile. The plastic used is usually easy to machine. So for example, if something that fits but has tabs on it that you don't want, you can sand them off. I do that frequently. In fact, I often get a much longer connectors and cut it to the number of contacts I want.

Here is a direct link to that connector. Amphenol is a good name.
https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/amphenol-icc-fci/69307-020LF/609-2758-ND/1090062

You will need to get contacts appropriate for the wire size you have.

Do you have a crimper? They are also sized by the wire. A decent one will be $15 to $20.
Thanks! Yes, I've found all of them as well. Can I use both socket and pin connector in the same housing or there should be a separate housing specifically for pins?

And, yes, I do have a crimper.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Well, you can put socket and pin connections in the same shell sometimes. The main reason for doing that is wire-to-wire connections. I that case, I prefer some sort of retention mechanism or lock like you see on automotive connectors. Also, male crimp contacts (pins) can be more expensive. Thus, for the shell I showed, I'd just use a pin header. They are very cheap.

If I were doing wire-to wire, I'd look for male pins in a female shell and female contacts in a male shell. That is the usual way. There is a huge number of variations. One popular brand is Molex, but all of the major manufacturers make them.