What is ridge in hill climbing algorithm exactly?

terabaaphoonmein

Joined Jul 19, 2020
I am studying hill climbing algorithm and this topic seems so confusing.

1) What is ridge basically?

2) Can you show an example while searching using hill climbing when ridge occurs?

I have researched in internet about this topic but it only left me with more confusions.
It seems like ridge seems very similar to local maximum imo. In the sense there are some big hills later on. But it says a lot of other things which I found very confusing. Need some help here.
Here is the pdf that I collected by studying from various sources.

https://jmp.sh/OMZtkWF

Out of all those figures, this is the figure that I would like to understand-:
1643963372485.png

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
I am studying hill climbing algorithm and this topic seems so confusing.

1) What is ridge basically?

2) Can you show an example while searching using hill climbing when ridge occurs?

I have researched in internet about this topic but it only left me with more confusions.
It seems like ridge seems very similar to local maximum imo. In the sense there are some big hills later on. But it says a lot of other things which I found very confusing. Need some help here.
Here is the pdf that I collected by studying from various sources.

https://jmp.sh/OMZtkWF

Out of all those figures, this is the figure that I would like to understand-:
View attachment 259624
Hello,

I have not read up on this yet but from the diagram it looks like it is just working with another dimension. So once it finds two local maximas, it moves to the maximum maxima.
So say you span x=1 to x=3 and find a maxima at x=2, then you span from x=2 to x=4 and find a maxima at x=3, you move toward x=3 and then go on again to maybe x=3 and x=5 for example.

A ridge implies a hill with cross section along x with the height along z and the direction of the ridge is along y.

Perhaps you can show a function you want to use with this we can take a look.