What is an appropriate power suppl

dvan

Joined Feb 8, 2014
man no wonder you guys are all technical about your stuff this is getting complex. a lot of variables now

dvan

Joined Feb 8, 2014
ok i thought i would have to ground it or something.. i wonder what stops the current from going into the aluminum

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
Using a fixed resistor and looking at the possible forward voltage drops of the LED the current changes considerably.
12V supply..
If R = 5 ohm
if Vf = 9
12-9Vf=3/5= .6A (running at 60% of what its rated for)
or
if Vf = 11
12-11vf = 1/5 = .2A (running at only 20% of what its rated for)

If thats ok with you then go right ahead..
All depends how fine you're cutting it, for most purposes its an adequate arrangement - if you're trying to squeeze every last milliwatt out of a power LED, its best to have more headroom - but then you waste more power.

The OP is working to a budget - compromises are inevitable.

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
All depends how fine you're cutting it, for most purposes its an adequate arrangement - if you're trying to squeeze every last milliwatt out of a power LED, its best to have more headroom - but then you waste more power.

The OP is working to a budget - compromises are inevitable.
yeah I wasn't aware of the "tight" budget ..
I only recommended the meanwell to "do it right".

dvan

Joined Feb 8, 2014
ok so the light came in the mail today. i went to EPO and they suggested i do NOT get a resistor so i saudered the light to the wires and they dont all stay on.. the chips are 3x3 after about 5 seconds ... the middle row goes out, then the first row goes out after about 30 seconds... any ideas why ? is it the chip or did i do something wrong

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
So after all this discussion you just hooked it up directly to the power supply without any form of current limiting?
If so its probably garbage now.
and whats "EPO"

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
OP blew the LED's after every one suggested about a series resistor.
The EPO guy is better I presume.

I wonder what was the supply voltage.

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
Yes all the chips still light up but they go out quickly
On a second hand PC tower case I bought a while back, I noticed that after a while the PWR LED started to flash - slowly at first, but getting faster.

On closer inspection I found someone had wired the PWR LED straight to a Molex connector with no current limiting resistor.