what is a better way to design bipolar bias supply for gate drivers of multiple switches?

BrokenPin

Joined Oct 1, 2023
Hello,

I am trying to design a packed e-cell inverter topology (something similar to this). The issue is that I am accustomed to designing bipolar bias supplies for isolated gate drivers, which power conventional 3-phase full bridge inverters using either isolated DC-DC modules or transformers. However, this topology features more switches and does not operate in pairs like the H-bridge (low and high sides).

For this topology (>10 MOSFETs), using isolated DC-DC modules will increase the design cost and complexity. So, I've been looking for alternative ways (using transformers) to create an isolated bipolar bias supply to keep the power side isolated from the digital part, and one of these is TIDA-00199, which uses a single transformer to generate power rails for three arms of a conventional 3-phase inverter. All the top IGBTs have their voltage rails isolated, while all the bottom IGBTs have their voltage rails combined. Can this method work with the PEC topology since there are no high switches to keep isolated and low side switches to combine (same bipolar rails)?

Another option is to use non-isolated power rails for gate driving. Should I use non-isolated gate driving? Or is there a better way to create a bias supply for that many switches?

Thank you all,