What happened to Roman Black?

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
The_RB was active here and stopped participating. I thought he just left AAC over some drama but I heard in this thread by @MaxHeadRoom that he disappeared from all forums at the same time. I checked into ETO for the first time in years to look him up, and sure enough, gone.

ETO, AAC:
upload_2017-11-28_11-34-12.png

I wondered if he's still alive.
I checked the whois on his domain romanblack.com

upload_2017-11-28_11-35-15.png

There's an "updated" date of 5MAR17 but I don't know what that means - did he update his website a few months ago?

There's an expiration date 12FEB18. So if there's any of his projects you are interested, act now or you might miss the chance if he's passed away and the domain expires.

Anybody know his status?

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
The last posts I saw of his in various sites was around 2013, also his web site has not been updated since then.
I guess I could email the outfit he designed the SUPERpid for to see if they can offer some info.
Max.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I'm hoping he just went off the grid and is enjoying life as a hermit somewhere in the mountains with no internet.
As the Aboriginals say, 'He went walk-about'.

I just checked the CNC forum where he promoted and supported his controller and the last post was 01-15-2014.
Max.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
everyone get off romanblack.com. The 5 users that this thread and the other thread has attracted, has crashed the site. My download is incomplete

EDIT: or maybe the hosting server locked me out. I get to it on my phone over 4G.

Last edited:

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
Wasn't there a discussion about him over on ETO a few years ago about why he walked away?

Something to the effect that he got fed up with dealing with demanding ungrateful people online or something like that?

Or am I thinking of someone else who did that?

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Hired by someone who forced him to abandon the entirety of his online presence? Who, like the NSA?
Not necessarily but some jobs in some fields do come with social contract restrictions. I'd like to think he's doing something cool instead of just dropping off the grid.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Seems to me I read (think it was at CNCzone, but not sure) that he passed and his kids were keeping the website as a memorial to him.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
He was really pissed off about the change to Xenforo.
I had an email exchange with him the day he posted this.

https://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/...esign-what-happened.100916/page-2#post-759107

He was really hot and pissed.
AAC forum template pissed him off so he quit forums altogether? He was/is an inventor and from reading through Cnczone, it looks like he got a lot of sales through staying active on that forum. He disappeared there the same time he did here.

I searched and searched CNCzone looking for a thread that matches @shortbus description but no luck.