what does this op amp circuit do?

Gerelectronic

Joined Mar 3, 2021
Hi everyone, could anyone tell me how the circuit works with the op amp that I have attached?

CIRCUITS_T.png

I wish I could find the formula that allows me to find Vout as Vin varies.
Thank you all.
Sorry for the poor English.
Long live electronics! :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
It is a 3-pole lowpass filter with a non-inverting gain stage. The gain is variable between 1 (0 dB) and 21 (26.4 dB). Note: upward-pointing ground symbols are a *very* poor schematic practice. Ground symbols *always* point downward.

That is not a good way to do a the filter. It has a very gradual transition from the passband to the attenuation slope. IOW, the passband - the signal bandwidth below the cutoff frequency - is not very "flat". The input signal attenuation at the corner frequency will be 9 dB, as opposed to only 3 dB with a proper filter design.
Do you have any idea how to find the Vout?
Yes.

Do you?

Is this school work?

ak

Gerelectronic

Joined Mar 3, 2021
It is a 3-pole lowpass filter with a non-inverting gain stage. The gain is variable between 1 (0 dB) and 21 (26.4 dB). Note: upward-pointing ground symbols are a *very* poor schematic practice. Ground symbols *always* point downward.

That is not a good way to do a the filter. It has a very gradual transition from the passband to the attenuation slope. IOW, the passband - the signal bandwidth below the cutoff frequency - is not very "flat". The input signal attenuation at the corner frequency will be 9 dB, as opposed to only 3 dB with a proper filter design.

Yes.

Do you?

Is this school work?

ak
Yes, I know that the earth symbols must face downwards, but in this case it is not an earth symbol, but a symbol that represents a voltage.
I can't find the formula of the Vout, if you are capable could you please tell me the formula?

It is a school assignment.

Thanks a lot in the meantime.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Do you have any idea how to find the Vout?
Yes.
But since this is homework we don't do that for you here, however we can help you find the answer.
To solve the problem analytically you need to write the transfer function of the circuit using Laplace Transforms (here's an example).
For your circuit that's gives a fairly complex function.

Or you can simulate it with a Spice type simulator.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Hint: Divide and conquer
Consider the operational amplifier and the RC network as separate problems.
Solve them separately and then combine the results.