What Does Embedded Linux Mean [SOLVED]

Pushkar1

Joined Apr 5, 2021
I was reading this page https://www.techopedia.com/definition/29946/embedded-linux and It explain Linux kernel is modified and optimized as an embedded Linux version. I don't fully understand what does it means that Linux kernel is modified.

For example, Raspberry Pi OS is a Linux OS that runs ARM. If there is any device which is connected to raspberry pi and if we want to monitor or control it then I write python program. I know the process but in this process I have never modified the kernel.

karnal to me means that which contains multiple source files and these source file are called in main function for application tasks like we do in FreeRTOS.

Does it happen that the Linux kernel is downloaded which contains multiple source files and is modified and it run on the controller to control or monitor external devices?

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015

Pushkar1

Joined Apr 5, 2021
It probably means that they've customized the Kernel and added functionality that isn't generally available or they removed functionality that they didn't need.
sorry still don't understand what is happening exactly. I have come to the conclusion that embedded Linux is an operating system, like other operating systems, which consists of many source files. We write application program that control external device via Linux kernel.

I am not sure but I think PI os can modify it, but I have never done this

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
sorry still don't understand what is happening exactly. I have come to the conclusion that embedded Linux is an operating system, like other operating systems, which consists of many source files.
I think you're getting confused by the use of "embedded". You could do the same things on a computer running Linux, but we wouldn't call that "embedded" Linux. It's just the operating system. Embedded Linux is still an operating system because that's what Linux is.

olebon

Joined Feb 29, 2012
In my understanding embedded Linux is reduced to run on a minimalist board with limited or no support for human interface devices (keyboard, mouse, monitor) and extended support to low level hardware peripherals (like SPI, GPIO and I2C). Embedded Linux also allows easy configuring its kernel to match particular design, e.g. you can add 12 UARTS and exclude any USB or PWM.