What diode do I need???

hotelcali4nia1

Joined Dec 27, 2012
I need to replace the charging diode in my 91' arctic cat pantera, seems to be hard to find. I can order one on Ebay or online electronics store, but I know nothing about diodes lol, from the research i've done it looks like I need a 6 amp 12v diode to replace what's in there. Does that sound right? I can't seem to find a 6A 12V diode anywhere online. The snowmobile is a 12 volt system, I think the diode is to keep the power from going through the system when the ignition is turned off. Any help would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks hotelcali

hotelcali4nia1

Joined Dec 27, 2012
I'll try to get a picture of it tomorrow. When I try to hook up a battery it sparks really bad, the lights all come on, and the starter turns real slow. All this with the ignition off, leading me to think the power is getting through the charging diode. I left the a battery hooked up and waited a bit to see if it would smoke from somewhere from a short, and smoke started coming from the wires connected to the ends of the diode. I had already traced every wire and couldn't find any shorts/bare wires. I'm thinking the previous owner may have hooked up the battery in reverse polarity, the battery was dead, beyond saving when I got it. Thanks hotelcali.

hotelcali4nia1

Joined Dec 27, 2012
Finally had a chance to get a pic....here is what Arctic Cat calls a charging diode.....

What can I replace this with? to charge a 12 volt battery system?

Thanks Hotelcali

Thanks Allen, I think I got it fixed lol

Attachments

Last edited:

absf

Joined Dec 29, 2010
Hi Hotel,

I cant see the picture that you posted. Was it a link to some other site? It's better to just copy the pix and paste it here... Use GoAdvanced and Mamage Attachments...

Allen

hotelcali4nia1

Joined Dec 27, 2012
Hi Allen, I think I got it fixed, I tried to link it from my Gmail drafts, it works on my PC, must be because I'm signed into it lol

Hotelcali

absf

Joined Dec 29, 2010
Aha, ArticCat is a snow mobile...

http://www.arcticcat.com/snow/sleds/view_all

The picture you've shown looks like a piece of charcoal. It's very hard to tell what it is when it was new...It could be an inductor (coil) too.

Could it be looking like the attached first picture? The rectifier that I know of looks like the second picture.

Allen

Attachments

Last edited:

hotelcali4nia1

Joined Dec 27, 2012
I guess I forgot the snowmobile part and didn't notice lol, the first picture is a voltage regulator , I have just replaced that, the second I've never seen before, but could be something like it, I know in the Arctic Cat parts diagrams, they call it a charging diode, but they give no specs for it. It is soldered into the wiring harness (looks like from the factory). Would any 12v diode work? just charge slower if it's not big enough? also the diode in the picture is about 1/4" diameter, it's hard to tell in the picture.

Hotelcali