what are best ways to learn PCB design professionally?

omer khater

Joined Nov 27, 2014
Hello guys ,

I'm somewhat beginner in this field and i want to learn PCB design

what are best courses ,references , any other helpful material to become professional PCB designer ?

Just finished my first board with KiCad, have used many different packages in the past. Nice package. Will definitely stick to it for my next project.

Nice to not have to think about restrictions on board size or complexity.

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
While Kicad is an excellent package I have not seen it used commercially (excepting those times I brought it to the table).

Books on the specific topic you need can be quite helpful (if not just a patchwork of uninspired dribble).

When I once had the challenge to design some PCBs it was due to our company owning a seat to the Orcad package to do layout. So I got a book on the same version we had so what I saw was what I could do. It got me up to speed in days.

Are you asking in general, or for a job you have now? If the latter ask what packages they use. If not answered, shoulder surf the designers!

Edit to add: I agree Kicad is a good tool to learn the basic processes. All PCB packages follow similar steps as they are all solving the same problem. The devil is in the details so when switching software packages you will have to learn how that package treats similar details.

Last edited:
I think the free packages such as KiCad and Eagle are definitely good items to get someone started. They will all reveal a huge number of issues that you run into along the way of designing a PCB.

Once you get to a company with a particular package, then you can concentrate on the package itself. It is always good to have exposure to multiple packages.

omer khater

Joined Nov 27, 2014
While Kicad is an excellent package I have not seen it used commercially (excepting those times I brought it to the table).

Books on the specific topic you need can be quite helpful (if not just a patchwork of uninspired dribble).

When I once had the challenge to design some PCBs it was due to our company owning a seat to the Orcad package to do layout. So I got a book on the same version we had so what I saw was what I could do. It got me up to speed in days.

Are you asking in general, or for a job you have now? If the latter ask what packages they use. If not answered, shoulder surf the designers!

Edit to add: I agree Kicad is a good tool to learn the basic processes. All PCB packages follow similar steps as they are all solving the same problem. The devil is in the details so when switching software packages you will have to learn how that package treats similar details.
I need it for educational project

I use Orcad

FrozenNick

Joined Nov 19, 2016
try building a pcb with a microcontroller, preferably with voltage regulator circuit (power circuit), I2C (length matching due to clock), USB (differential routing), and try to not feel down when u failed or made a careless mistake, this is how i learn during the past year.. (I am a beginner myself)

I personally learn faster by doing the stuff, learning it on the way. I tend to forget all the theory stuff after studying

Last edited by a moderator:

NSL22

Joined Dec 20, 2010
try building a pcb with a microcontroller, preferably with voltage regulator circuit (power circuit), I2C (length matching due to clock), USB (differential routing), and try to not feel down when u failed or made a careless mistake, this is how i learn during the past year.. (I am a beginner myself)

I personally learn faster by doing the stuff, learning it on the way. I tend to forget all the theory stuff after studying
I agree with this approach.

There's an online tutorial for designing an arduino using Altium. It's $10.
https://www.udemy.com/create-and-design-your-own-arduino-nano-in-altium-designer/

For Orcad PCB designer, I recommend "Complete PCB Design Using OrCAD Capture and PCB Editor". Its for version 16 of the software.
https://www.elsevier.com/books/comp...ture-and-pcb-editor/mitzner/978-0-7506-8971-7

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
I agree with this approach.

There's an online tutorial for designing an arduino using Altium. It's $10.
https://www.udemy.com/create-and-design-your-own-arduino-nano-in-altium-designer/

For Orcad PCB designer, I recommend "Complete PCB Design Using OrCAD Capture and PCB Editor". Its for version 16 of the software.
https://www.elsevier.com/books/comp...ture-and-pcb-editor/mitzner/978-0-7506-8971-7
Secconded. That was the book I used, I believe there is a copy for two versions of Orcad. Do try to match the book to the program version of possible.

Otherwise get as close as you can and invoke your higher power.