We've lost our friend, Bill "beenthere" Bennett

Fenris

Joined Oct 21, 2007
Life has just been so he I haven't been around as much as I could. But 'Beenthere' is one of the mods/posters who you remember for his wit and insightful input even after such a long absence.

Sincere condolences to his real family and to the online family who have lost a friend, fellow spirit and his knowledge he bought and shared with us all.

regards

Fenris

jj_alukkas

Joined Jan 8, 2009
Ever since I started posting on AAC forums, most of the times, the first person to always see my thread would be Bill.. He always knew where to start something whatever I asked here, such a knowledgeable man. On visiting the forums after a long break, desperate to learn more, my heart sank when I read the sticky, cos he had helped me a lot in the long run. He had really 'been there' wherever I went on this forum and he will be missed deeply. My hearty condolences to his family. You will always be remembered Bill and thank you for everything :'(

beeson76

Joined Apr 19, 2010
I would have liked to of met him. He helped me on several occasions too. I knew he was from Missouri, but that was all I could find out about him...me also being from Missouri. But when I read the obituary, I found out he lived in Otterville. Otteville is only about a 30 minute drive from where I lived, but I go back often to visit my mom and dad very often.

count_volta

Joined Feb 4, 2009
Wow I am shocked. Bill has helped me a million times in the forums. I read his obituary. What an amazing man he was. A great role model. Kind of reminds me of my grandfather who also died recently and who I miss very much. Rest in peace man. :(

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I received the following email from Joyce, and and re-posting it with her permission...

Joyce Bennett said:
I received the card today that you forwarded. Again many thanks. My family and I, and also friends and even my calculus students (who have known Bill throughout high school) have all been just in awe at the kind thoughts directed our way. It feels so good to know that Bill was truly appreciated. I know that he would have felt great pride and gratitude in knowing how many people he was able to assist down the road of knowledge. One of the many little "projects" that he built for me was a from scratch academic buzzer system. I have been the coach for academic team for over a decade and he had gotten tired of me complaining about the poor operating system that we had so he built us one and donated it to the school. Unfortunately, I changed schools five years ago and since it was a donation, I left it behind. My current school just spent $1000 on a new system that is not nearly as precise in the timing or user friendly as the one he had built. Bill's last completed project was to build each of the grandchildren a color organ. Our eldest grandchild (6 yr old) took his for show and tell and wowed the other students with his grandpa who could "make anything from nothing" in 6-yr old speak. Bill's last unfinished project was a nixie tube clock still laying on his desk with his hand-drawn schematics that he was doing just for fun. While I am at peace that Bill lived a fruitful life and is no longer suffering from the ravages of the cancer, I still am having a hard time filling the void left behind without his presence. You can only imagine our conversations (boring to many I'm sure!) regarding politics, education, music, books, and all areas of knowledge from history to science to math to philosophy. There was a reason we never had a television set up, we were too busy with our other interests! Well I must try and focus on the wonderful memories and get off the pity pot of might-have-beens. Again thank you for all you've done.

Joyce Bennett and family