Weller tips - are they universal?

Chipbox

Joined Aug 13, 2018
Background: I need new tips for my TC201T soldering pencil that goes with my WTCPT Weller soldering station. On Amazon for example I can find plenty of Weller tips for models other than the TC201T, but basically none for TC201T.

Question: Can I purchase tips intended for other Weller pencil model numbers, and expect them to fit and work with the TC201T? Or would it just be easier to purchase a new pencil with a tip set that will fit in a WTCPT? Further, will all Weller tips fit with the 3-pin WTCPT male connector?

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
If the replacement tips are the correct part number for the iron in question, then they'd be interchangeable. Otherwise, not likely.

Chipbox

Joined Aug 13, 2018
Thank you for your advice on my question. These are all great tips! (I had to make that joke).
On a personal note, its unfortunate there are no standards for this. That would make for an interesting proposition.

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
Thank you for your advice on my question. These are all great tips! (I had to make that joke).
On a personal note, its unfortunate there are no standards for this. That would make for an interesting proposition.
Standards often prevent the freedom to design and improve products.. ;)
Different soldering irons require different tips for optimal performance and various other design reasons..

Tips for the TC201T are easily acquired from numerous other sources...
Amazon just isn't a good one for that specific product.. Even though I frequently buy from Amazon they are not the best source on many occasions..

rsjsouza

Joined Apr 21, 2014
One detail: just beware of third party tips which may have lesser quality materials; maybe not specifically for this iron, but it is not uncommon to get some tips that fail to transfer heat as efficiently as the "original" ones.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
I also read, think it was on this forum, that the new authentic tips don't last as long as the ones manufactured decades ago. I'm still using a PTP7 conical tip that I started using in the 70's.