Welcome to AAC Retirees Club

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
While working my hiring manager and I would talk about retirement. He was looking at retiring in Mexico and I was looking at retiring in Thailand.
That opens another door. I have friends now happily living in Mexico and also the Philippines. There's a whole world out there. I had wanted to move down by friends in NC but my wife kept pointing out the kids and grand kids as well as two of my sisters are 2 hours south in Columbus. So here I sit amused by the falling snow. :) Anyway, other countries are always an option.

Ron

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
For me, it was kinda the other way around. Dad was a gypsy Pulp and Paper Engineer and we lived all up and down the east coast from FL to ME. Until coming here I had lived in more houses than I was years old. I was sorta dragged kicking and screaming to Birmingham AL which I detested. I got married and finished college in AL and was looking at where to go after and it wasn't going to be anywhere in AL. So as soon as I graduated we packed up and moved down to Coastal GA where a lot of my relatives are from. No job in hand, just where I wanted to live. After all the moving around as a kid, I grew roots and never left. Now one son in Seattle, daughter in Pittsburgh and another daughter I know not where. Last I spoke with her she was in ex-Soviet Georgia/Turkey or that neighborhood. She travels about teaching ESL and spent a year in Korea doing so. She is somewhat of a missionary helping Christians flee Islamic oppression ATM. So we are far from our kids except for our adult son with Autism who lives with us still.

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
Also, there is that deadline thing I already mentioned. Retirement and deadlines are oxymoronic.
Unless one of the things you do is ballroom dance, and you do a showcase (performance) every year, and you make props, using your 3D printer and electronics, and your wife makes a gown each year.

Her gown for 2018 had 48 RGB LEDs and a microcontroller sewn in.

Bob

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
I just became a Retiree, I will still do some part-time or full time till I'm 70. But, I maintain my benefits as well as my pension. I will start putting money away for travel, I also can go to school for free. Now, I need to see if my boss will retain me as a part-time Tech I , he now can use my Tech III Full time position for a younger person. Either way, time to party :p:p:p

kv:)

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
Welcome to retirement. Most likely your early days of retirement will be filled with leisure time. After a while you will wonder how you managed daily life while holding down a job or two at the same time.

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
Just got off the phone with some of my friends, first thing they want to do is play music. My millionaire friend wants to go to Europe and England, but he has to sell his commercial building first and buy some more income property, so that's not going to happen for a while. I'm already itching to go, but I've never been anywhere farther than Canada.

Anyone know what to do to reduce expenses, while traveling to Europe and England?

kv

Last edited:

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
... Mostly Scots in my woodpile. Poor hungry farmers pissed off with their English landlords for the most part. Along with a few English Capitalists and Steam Engineers off to get rich in the Colonies.
Some had no choice, from around 1630 in Scotland, anyone found begging or deemed a vagrant were shipped off the American colonies as slave labour, numbering in the hundreds of thousands.

1652: it may be lawful for two or more justices of peace within any county, citty or towne, corporate belonging to the commonwealth to from tyme to tyme by warrant cause to be apprehended, seized on and detained all and every person or persons that shall be found begging and vagrant. in any towne, parish or place to be conveyed into the Port of London, or unto any other port from where such person or persons may be shipped into a forraign collonie or plantation.

The judges of Edinburgh Scotland during the years 1662-1665 ordered the enslavement and shipment to the colonies a large number of rogues and others who made life unpleasant for the British upper class.

Max.

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
LOL My father said the folks in Massachusets bragged about coming over on the Mayflower but Georgia folks didn't say much about coming over on the prison ships. And there were a LOT of bondsmen as well brought into the colonies.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
And it becomes confusing trying to figure out what day it is with such an unstructured lifestyle. ;)
Yeah but I have come to actually enjoy that. Like my daughter asking me Dad, who did you have breakfast with? Well if it was Stevie I know it's Tuesday. :) Not even a matter of knowing what day it is, more a matter of I don't care what day it is.

Ron

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
Just got back from the State Retirement system in SLC, what a relief to get it turned in, I should have enough to live on when the pension kicks in, I opted in for Spousal if I die she's receiving the same amount, but I lost about $100, now it's down to $850 a month, not sure how much Fed and State will cost me.

kv

Last edited:

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Yeah but I have come to actually enjoy that. Like my daughter asking me Dad, who did you have breakfast with? Well if it was Stevie I know it's Tuesday.
When I found myself loosing track of the day of the week, I started writing it in my journal entries. Before that, I just put the date. Now I have no problem keeping track.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Anyone know what to do to reduce expenses, while traveling to Europe and England?
I just spent some time in France. Eating out and gas is going to cut deep into your budget. Take public transit. In Nice you can travel from one end of the city to the other plus some more for 1. Along the coast we travelled about 100km from Toulon to Saint-Tropez for 2 by Zou busline. Always buy the 10-trip passes to save money.

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
LOL I had to sign some financial papers today and had to ask the wife what year it is. Some things just don't really matter after retiring. What I can remember is that tomorrow is our 42nd wedding anniversary! Time flies when yer havin' fun...

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
I just spent some time in France. Eating out and gas is going to cut deep into your budget. Take public transit. In Nice you can travel from one end of the city to the other plus some more for 1. Along the coast we travelled about 100km from Toulon to Saint-Tropez for 2 by Zou busline. Always buy the 10-trip passes to save money.
I plan on France, as well as Spain, Italy, then England which ever comes first. I have at least 2 years to plan, so tips are very much welcome.

Thank you,
kv

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
When I found myself loosing track of the day of the week, I started writing it in my journal entries. Before that, I just put the date. Now I have no problem keeping track.
I'll be planning a Journal, I want my Granddaughters to know my bits of info, adding bits to my life and their life is important to me.

kv