Welcome to AAC Retirees Club

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
@killivolt
Including a colonoscopy -- even if asymptomatic-- if it is covered.
Absolutely! My Dr. even had me do a stress test.

My mistake was I was having cramps in my upper legs after walking. Soon after even a short walk. I should have addressed that while I was working but didn't. I ended up with a lower arterial bypass which had me down for six months, I could have taken a medical leave of absence and been drawing full pay and allowances, then simply retired.

Many of the people I worked with were having anything and everything which needed done finished including knee and hip replacements.

Ron

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
Absolutely! My Dr. even had me do a stress test.

My mistake was I was having cramps in my upper legs after walking. Soon after even a short walk. I should have addressed that while I was working but didn't. I ended up with a lower arterial bypass which had me down for six months, I could have taken a medical leave of absence and been drawing full pay and allowances, then simply retired.

Many of the people I worked with were having anything and everything which needed done finished including knee and hip replacements.

Ron
In the package they will give me an additional $830 and I can continue my coverage until I'm 66 1/2. The coverage will cost me $127 for both me and my wife. I'll be doing a lot of checkups when and if available.

The Uni will switch July 1st to blue cross blue shield.

kv

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
If you have a spouse to cart you around, no problem getting outpatient sedation for whatever. I my case, I do not have anyone to ask to do that. In 2005, I had a colonoscopy without sedation and have continued to do that on repeats since. If you have a gentle colonoscopist (i.e., a good pilot for the Mississippi), it is virtually painless, and you remember everything. I much prefer that, as we can discuss findings as they are in progress. In the US, the vast majority of patients get sedation. I understand that in Europe, it is the reverse. After my experiences, I prefer no sedation.

Just FYI. They will try to hook you up, and it is kind of fun to watch the expressions on their faces when you remind them "no sedation." You will still have a "keep open" IV for access in case of an emergency. I do not like that entire day missed due to drugs and the hangover.

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
If you have a spouse to cart you around, no problem getting outpatient sedation for whatever. I my case, I do not have anyone to ask to do that. In 2005, I had a colonoscopy without sedation and have continued to do that on repeats since. If you have a gentle colonoscopist (i.e., a good pilot for the Mississippi), it is virtually painless, and you remember everything. I much prefer that, as we can discuss findings as they are in progress. In the US, the vast majority of patients get sedation. I understand that in Europe, it is the reverse. After my experiences, I prefer no sedation.

Just FYI. They will try to hook you up, and it is kind of fun to watch the expressions on their faces when you remind them "no sedation." You will still have a "keep open" IV for access in case of an emergency. I do not like that entire day missed due to drugs and the hangover.
They use a different drug here not sure what it is, it will not make you groggy, I drove myself home the last one, went to get food within an hour. I think I'm up for another one since they found and removed some polyps, it's every 2 years now till I'm 70.

kv

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014

I had no sedation but 'gas and air' available if needed. it wasn't.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
@DickCappels
The recommendation may vary with country and perhaps even insurance. I am most familiar with recommendations in the US.

Of course, if there are/were polyp(s), follow-up will depend on the histology. For a typical colon polyp that has been removed (e.g., non-malignant adenoma, but considered pre-cancerous), follow-up in the US for over 70 is 5 years if asymptomatic. Of course, one's physicians may prescribe less invasive screening (e.g., stool or other tests for blood or antigens) more frequently.

If the polyp is non-cancerous and not considered to have malignant potential (e.g., a hyperplastic polyp) or there are no polyps, the frequency of follow-up, if any, is longer. If one has had regular screening prior to age 70, that may be your last colonoscopy. The risks of colonoscopy start to outweigh the benefits after 75, and many experts recommend no follow-ups after that age (https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases...t-answers/colon-cancer-screening/faq-20057826 ). After 80, I do not know whether screening is ever recommended. The theory is that even a pre-cancerous adenoma takes several years to become malignant. So, when life expectancy is less than that, why screen? Symptoms change that picture and the procedure is no longer just for "screening."

@AlbertHall
Years ago nitrogen was used in Ohio. More recently, CO2,is used, which is readily absorbed. I don't understand why it took colonoscopists so long to realize that fact. ;)

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
I don't know, I didn't ask. I guess I have one foot in the grave so why bother? It a good question to investigate. I actually thought the same because the men in our family live through their 80's, my Dad 89, my grandfather 87, my aunt Mimi 105.

Good question.

kv
That's a good sign. Epidemologists/medical utilization/ethics people will ask whether they died of colon cancer and if so, was it diagnosed before age 80 (assuming they had has screening before age 80).

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
I’ve had so many colonoscopies, I do pretty much sleep through the prep. My doctor prescribes something that is only 2 - 12 oz. And I only have to drink 1/2 of the second bottle. I’ve had annual colonoscopies for the past seven years. You get used to it.

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
That's a good sign. Epidemologists/medical utilization/ethics people will ask whether they died of colon cancer and if so, was it diagnosed before age 80 (assuming they had has screening before age 80).
Old age, we have something in our family called hardening of the lung. I think it's a form of COPD, I've looked at our family history back to 1500's it's common. My Great Great Grandfather died from Diabetes which is on both sides of the family. It's why I watch my weight, I've dropped from 210 pounds to 170 and holding for 2 years. Funny thing is in our family the men don't show the weight, it's rather a internal weight gain around organs etc. as well as distributed all over our bodies. My wife remarks all the time that my pant size has never changed since she met me.

My Grandfather had ulcers, my Dad had some kind if issue with his colon but I think it was a hernia, fisher, or hemorrhoid. My Dad was put on oxygen then a month later, he collapsed. My brother picked him up and put him in a chair in the kitchen when expelled his last breath. He hated being tethered to oxygen tank, lack of mobility probably killed him. We should have purchased a mobil unit.

kv

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Wow!

Surprised at many of these stories. I haven’t experienced much of what you’re talking about. I went out on disability at age 62. I’ve been collecting my maximum since then. So I haven’t seen many of the decisions you guys have had to make. Thanks for the education.