Isaiah Gerald

Joined Aug 19, 2020
Ok, i faced my fear of burning my house down and realized it :(

Primary:
Black = Neutral
Blue = 180V
Orange = 220V
Red = 255V

Edit: Now i only have 1 question left, Do i connect my Full Wave Rectifier to both the 7.1V Wire

7.1v --
> 14.2v
7.1v --

Or do i connect it to 0V + 7.1V
Im worried here because sometimes when you rectify ac there is a little voltage bump

Last edited:

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi,
So what was the outcome.?
E
BTW: you must give us more detailed reports of what you are seeing or measuring, so that we can give useful answers... 'Yup' is not helpful. ;)

Isaiah Gerald

Joined Aug 19, 2020
hi,
So what was the outcome.?
E
BTW: you must give us more detailed reports of what you are seeing or measuring, so that we can give useful answers... 'Yup' is not helpful. ;)
I Connected Black and Orange to 220V
I Got 19v from the low voltage wires (the Blue ones)
The Thick Red Wire is Neutral
Thick Black is 7.1V
Thick Blue is 7.1V

Currently i have it 7.1V + 7.1V is it correct? im worried because i've seen some videos that after AC to DC conversion the voltages are like 19V
Edit: Accidentally Short Circuited it and the wire was literally red hot melting my Bridge Rectifier to pieces luckily i got like 25 of those rectifiers so nothing was in vain

Last edited:

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi,
If you full wave rectify 14.2V and use a smoothing capacitor , you get (14.2 + 1.4) - 1.4V =~ 18.5Vdc, peak.
If you plan to charge say 12V SLA batteries, you require 13.8Vdc to 14.1Vdc.

So your charge controller will have to reduce the 18.5Vdc peak to ~14Vdc

Note: on load the 18.5Vpk will be lower.

What batteries do you plan to charge and at what current.?

E
BTW: I hope you have suitable fusing in the LINE connection to the transformer.?
I would also connect the metal frame of the transformer to the mains EARTH wire.

REMEMBER: a 220Vac shock can be lethal.!

Isaiah Gerald

Joined Aug 19, 2020
hi,
If you full wave rectify 14.2V and use a smoothing capacitor , you get (14.2 + 1.4) - 1.4V =~ 18.5Vdc, peak.
If you plan to charge say 12V SLA batteries, you require 13.8Vdc to 14.1Vdc.

So your charge controller will have to reduce the 18.5Vdc peak to ~14Vdc

Note: on load the 18.5Vpk will be lower.

What batteries do you plan to charge and at what current.?

E
BTW: I hope you have suitable fusing in the LINE connection to the transformer.?
I would also connect the metal frame of the transformer to the mains EARTH wire.

REMEMBER: a 220Vac shock can be lethal.!
Thanks for the Info, I Will be using it to find a suitable charge controller
The Batteries that im planning to charge with it is Lead Acid Batteries at a maximum current of 1.35 Amps

Yup i have a fuse on the line connection of the transformer
I also connected the Transformer's Metal Frame to ground because someone said it prevented fires or something

Also My Transformer outputs~18.2v peak no load
When i load it with a for example a 12v 35W bulb the voltage goes down to 13.6v DC

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi,
A 35W bulb at 13.6V is approx 2.5Amps.

The reason I connect the frame of a mains transformer to Earth, is just in case the transformer develops a primary winding short circuit to the frame.

Lets see your charger circuit when ready.
E

Isaiah Gerald

Joined Aug 19, 2020
ok thanks. Im Currently Ordering the Charge Controller, and my multimeter was delayed sadly

Also we have a problem..., our wall sockets doesn't have.. a ground pin its only 2 pins, live and neutral that's why i put 2 fuses 1 in the input and output