Wearables and Wireless Networks

sg253545

Joined Dec 23, 2020
Hello,
Happy New Year!
I have recently gained interest in wearables and have been researching the different technologies they utilize. Particularly, I was looking into the Samsung Galaxy Gear 3 and a wallpaper changing app that works with it. In that app, a user can tap a wallpaper image of their choice and it will be displayed on the home screen of the watch. I am having trouble understanding how this process works.

My first question is, what kind of wireless technology does this interaction use: Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, Cellular, other IEEE standards, etc?

Secondly, based on the wireless technology this interaction uses, what kind of circuits should I draw attention to?

Third: Can you please explain the process of how the information is being transferred from simply selecting a wallpaper on the app to the wallpaper being displayed on the Samsung watch?

Thank you, I really appreciate the help!

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Hello,
Happy New Year!
I have recently gained interest in wearables and have been researching the different technologies they utilize. Particularly, I was looking into the Samsung Galaxy Gear 3 and a wallpaper changing app that works with it. In that app, a user can tap a wallpaper image of their choice and it will be displayed on the home screen of the watch. I am having trouble understanding how this process works.

My first question is, what kind of wireless technology does this interaction use: Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, Cellular, other IEEE standards, etc?

Secondly, based on the wireless technology this interaction uses, what kind of circuits should I draw attention to?

Third: Can you please explain the process of how the information is being transferred from simply selecting a wallpaper on the app to the wallpaper being displayed on the Samsung watch?

Thank you, I really appreciate the help!
In general, it uses whatever is available. Bluetooth, Wi-Fi and cellular being most common. An app would have to be programmed to search for your watch using one of these technologies.

Second, the app must be aware of an API (Applications Programming Interface) on the watch. The API could be native to the watch OS or part of an app on the watch. Then, the app must know how to “talk” to this API.

This is a very general description. The details of each step that must be programmed in the app are very complicated. But once you understand the requirements and their implementation, it’s easy.

sg253545

Joined Dec 23, 2020
In general, it uses whatever is available. Bluetooth, Wi-Fi and cellular being most common. An app would have to be programmed to search for your watch using one of these technologies.

Second, the app must be aware of an API (Applications Programming Interface) on the watch. The API could be native to the watch OS or part of an app on the watch. Then, the app must know how to “talk” to this API.

This is a very general description. The details of each step that must be programmed in the app are very complicated. But once you understand the requirements and their implementation, it’s easy.
Okay thank you, do you have any links or idea on where I can start to learn about the requirements? Anyone can reply to this