Ways to TX/RX different intructions

DarthVolta

Joined Jan 27, 2015
Just brainstorming with myself here. I'd love to make a super basic RC car from the printer parts I've salvaged, and have it be all analog parts.

You could TX/RX on 1 frequency for 1 function, then another freq. for another function. Like 5MHz for turn right, 1MHz for turn left.

What about TX/RX on a single frq, but make it pulsed, and then change the duty cycle or say the pulse rate. So that you TX/RX at 5MHz, but turn right is pulsed at 50kHz, and turn left is pulsed at 100kHz, and you have some sort of circuitry that only responds to the pulse rate or duty cycle you choose.

Or maybe TX/RX with AM for turn right, FM for turn left. Or different levels of AM or FM for different instructions.

I have lot's of parts, I should start trying to make more stuff next year

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
The oldest multi-channel systems used tone to separate channels. Rather than DTM chips, reed relays were used.

Since next year is pretty soon, have you tried searching on the Internet? Lots of information .
This concept was the technology behind the original Disney audio-animatronics. Various reed relays that responded to specific frequencies controlled the various parts of an animatronic. It is the “audio” in “audio-animatronic”.

KeithWalker

Joined Jul 10, 2017
My first successful RC plane flew in 1961 using a home-made "galloping ghost" system. It had proportional throttle, rudder and elevator control all from one motorized actuator. The rudder used the duty cycle of a transmitted pulse. The elevator used the frequency and the throttle increased or decreased in steps if the transmitted signal was held on or off for about one second.
It would be very easy to use this system using modern components. All you need for the modulator is one 555 timer IC. The duty cycle is perfect for controlling the speed and the frequency for proportional steering.
Here is an article that mentions the system:
http://www.calorr.com/galloping-ghost.html