Ways to connect computer to TVs and monitors

Dritech

Joined Sep 21, 2011
Hi all,

I have my computer with one monitor located on my office desk and I would like to access this computer from three different locations, these being:

1) My workbench (2 monitors) -- around 5m away
2) My living room (one TV) -- around 25m away
3) My garage (one monitor) -- around 15m away

What would be the best option for sharing this computer with all these different types of display devices? These will not be used simultaneously.
I already tested connection to the TV using the smart-TV device sharing function, but this resulted to be very laggy. I also looked for KVM options, but I am still not convinced.

Any suggestions please?

KeithWalker

Joined Jul 10, 2017
The most obvious solution is to have a computer at each of those locations on a local area network. Then you could display data from any computer to any monitor. It would not be cheap. For interfacing to a TV, use the HDMI output of the computer and set it for the best resolution.
Why do you need to do this?

bassbindevil

Joined Jan 23, 2014
You can get an HDMI splitter. I saw one yesterday at Princess Auto that had at least 4 outputs. 25 m might be too far for HDMI without using a signal booster, plus running a cable with a big plug on the end requires giant holes, unlike CAT5. There are gizmos that send HDMI over CAT-something. Alternatively, use remote desktop software on a tiny computer connected to the TV, if the smart TV can't run a remote desktop. I used RealVNC to access computers in a server rack. It'll run on a Raspberry Pi.
https://www.realvnc.com/en/connect/download/viewer/
That probably won't be satisfactory for playing games or media, though, but it eliminates the problem of how to connect a keyboard and mouse back to the computer. My first wireless keyboard used IR; that could be sent over a twisted pair. There are USB extenders that allow sending it via CAT5, or cables with active repeaters/boosters. I have no experience with those. I'd be inclined to just put a free old computer in the garage; dual core should still be adequate. And maybe one of the more powerful Raspberry Pis in the living room.