Watercooling uptime counter

timekeeper

Joined Oct 24, 2007
Hello. This is my first post. I am a beginner in electronics. I want to make a circuit to keep track of the hours that my water cooling system is running. It should start counting on power-up, then adding each second to the total time. On shutdown the total time should be stored. Also a button to reset the total time would be nice. Total time in hours should show on a small LCD. I know I need a 555 timer for sure, but I have no idea which chip I should use to store the total time. Any ideas please???

Thanks a lot

Nick
Greece

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
It may be that the easiest way out is to get a device like an elapsed timer. Newark Electronics has one, part # 16F8938 for $49.50. It records down to seconds and has an LCD display. It's a Durant model E42D12475S if you want to look up specs.

timekeeper

Joined Oct 24, 2007
It may be that the easiest way out is to get a device like an elapsed timer. Newark Electronics has one, part # 16F8938 for $49.50. It records down to seconds and has an LCD display. It's a Durant model E42D12475S if you want to look up specs.
Thanks a lot. I 'll check it. But I will try to bring my idea to life (I need a project to keep me motivated...).

Nick
GREECE

GS3

Joined Sep 21, 2007
Sometimes there are simple solutions. In my boat I like to keep track of how long the bilge pump runs because any increase in time indicates something is wrong. I just hooked up a $3 alarm clock in parallel with the pump. Being a mechanical movement it adds up the running time until I reset it. You can't get much cheaper or simpler than that.

In your case you could just use a relay to connect / disconnect the alarm clock battery.