Water Sensor Alarm

Peter8519

Joined Nov 18, 2014
Hi All,

I come across this water sensor alarm circuit.

If I were to use 4 x 1.5V battery cell, any idea how long it would last ?
Thanks in advance.

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
Probably hundreds of hours depending upon the buzzer but not as long as it could. You can reduce current drain in the "idle" mode by replacing the 1k resistors with some of higher values, the values depending upon the drive requirements of the buzzer.

The electrodes will not corrode when dry. Even when they do corrode, the change in resistance might be an improvement (greater surface area because of piyying).

blocco a spirale

Joined Jun 18, 2008
If it is just for raising an alarm and the probes are not expected to be immersed in water normally; it should be ok to use DC.

How long the battery lasts in standby depends on its capacity, the circuit draws around 9mA in quiescent.

It is possible to design this circuit so that it draws zero current in standby.

Last edited:

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Hi All,

I come across this water sensor alarm circuit.

If I were to use 4 x 1.5V battery cell, any idea how long it would last ?
Thanks in advance.
This circuit is very dependent on the conductivity of the water you use and the distance between the electrodes. If it is distilled or pretty darn free of dissolved ions, the circuit will not work. For example. If your voltage source (batteries) supply 6 volts, you will need the water gap to have a resistance of 100 ohms or less.

The circuit activates the buzzer when the current to the base of the left BC547 stops flowing (because the voltage divider of a 1k resistor and the water gap bring the base voltage below 0.7 volts).

It may work on well water or a sump pump circuit, I don't know if it will work on drinking water, it depends on the distance between the electrodes - the greater the distance, the higher the resistance of the water.

Peter8519

Joined Nov 18, 2014
Hi Everyone,
Thank you very much for your replies.

It's for my alkaline water system's acidic water tank.
I plan to put the electrodes as close as possible but not to touch each other.
The sole purpose of this sensor is to prevent overflow.

Maybe I should use the circuit by blocco since it draws zero current on standby.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Hi Everyone,
Thank you very much for your replies.

It's for my alkaline water system's acidic water tank.
I plan to put the electrodes as close as possible but not to touch each other.
The sole purpose of this sensor is to prevent overflow.

Maybe I should use the circuit by blocco since it draws zero current on standby.
Your water will be very conductive. And, @blocco a spirale 's is much better. Remember to add a switch to blacco's circuit if an overflow condition will lasT any period of time (but find a way to remind yourself to turn it back on at some point). Avoiding a switch is preferred if overflow is a short duration and the alarm is not too annoying.