Water pump problem

PaulJ2022

Joined Nov 10, 2022
Hi mate. Personally I think your looking on the wrong area no disrespect as no faults can be red herrings. From the video its sounds like voltage supplied to the motor 3ph or sph is extortionate to the Hz of the motor. If not that the bushes sound worn to bits but I don't know the age or state of motor. Call me <mod:deleted Number> I work with motors daily.

Last edited by a moderator:

mohsen 2012

Joined May 15, 2014
Hi mate. Personally I think your looking on the wrong area no disrespect as no faults can be red herrings. From the video its sounds like voltage supplied to the motor 3ph or sph is extortionate to the Hz of the motor. If not that the bushes sound worn to bits but I don't know the age or state of motor. (Phone number was deleted) I work with motors daily.
Tha ks but wich country this phone number? Wich prefix ?? Do u have whatsapp ??

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
What is missing from the problem statements is information: 1. Does the pump run and make noise? OR does it not run and instead make noise? Is the noise a mechanical sort of noise or is it an electrical hum or bu sort of noise?
I see an extension of the motor shaft that extends from the back of the motor, and so you are able to rotate the motor manually. THAT will be a very useful diagnostic tool. A water pump should rotate smoothly, with a constant amount of torque to turn it. Jf there is binding at any part of the rotation then the problem is mechanical, probably due to a mineral build up inside the pump.
The main failure of AC capacitor induction motors is failure of that capacitor to provide the correct phase shift, which causes the motor to not run correctly.
So in order to get any useful advice you must provide more information.

geekoftheweek

Joined Oct 6, 2013
What is missing from the problem statements is information: 1. Does the pump run and make noise? OR does it not run and instead make noise? Is the noise a mechanical sort of noise or is it an electrical hum or bu sort of noise?
Not to be rude, but there is a link to a video in the original post.

geekoftheweek

Joined Oct 6, 2013
I'll second the mechanical noise. Bearings can "feel" good by hand, but when loaded even the slightest bit start to vibrate make noise. I am assuming it also makes this sound when plumbed and water flowing through it...

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I know they appear to be sealed bearings, but the fact that water has seeped through to the motor side could indicate the seal has been compromised and affected the bearing race.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Those reasons in the previous three or so comments are why I suggested rotating the motor by means of the shaft extending out the other end.
BUT we were given no hint at all as to what sort of noise, were we. It could be a pebble in the impeller, for that matter. I wish the TS good luck in getting it all back together so that it even turns.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
I seldom watch/listen to linked videos. Why is it so difficult to describe a noise? I find youtube obnoxious most of the time and the videos I have given up on. What is so difficult about text???
And once again, I suggest that most pump noises are mechanical.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
OK, I listened to it and it sounds like a noisy pump that is very slightly rubbing. The motor start is a normal time,the speed sounds reasonable, so the motor is probably not laboring or overloaded. But the lime buildup inside the pump is probably rubbing just a bit.Or it could be bearing damage, detectable by rotating the motor by hand, feeling for roughness.
Of course we don't know how it sounded prior to the problem. Probably similar but without that once per revolution impact clicking.