Water level sensor in modern clotheswasher...

Externet

Joined Nov 29, 2005
Who would stock these sensors ? Appliance parts vendors want to sell the entire circuit board for more than the value of the washing machine... I prefer to try replacing this sensor alone; as it is never giving constant behavior, sometimes overfills, others not enough, other stops running.
Seen them in automotive something to read atmospheric pressure or vacuum, or something in that line. Searching the part number printed on the device shows zero findings. They replaced the decades reliable microswitch/bellows sensor for this modern chinese crap to save $0.20 in manufacturing cost and squeeze wallets to repair the machine which has not even a year of use.

1631291739317.png
This sensor tells the water level column pressure to signal a microcontroller the preset water level has been reached. A canibalizable source is also welcome.

Externet

Joined Nov 29, 2005
Thanks, gentlemen. Everything is pristine clean shiny less than a year of light unmolested use with no hose kinks, leaks nor blocking; I even tried glued it to the sensor port to make sure a good mating. My only choice left is trying the 8 pin trough hole sensor marked :

1B63M05
Japan

Seems only 4 of the pins connect.
Ian0; it looks like your linked part but more like my image. Exact part overseas ----> https://articulo.mercadolibre.com.m...r-nivel-panasonic-presostato-mabe-1b63m05-_JM

Last edited:

Externet

Joined Nov 29, 2005
Thanks, Ian0. That data sheet that I did not see before helps if I have to adapt something else. The package is "P" on its .pdf page 8.
Getting closer with your help !

Externet

Joined Nov 29, 2005
Removed the sensor from the pcb and with the help of the data sheet, applied 5V and common; blowing into its air port showed the output response curve and limits as it is supposed to be at its output pin. Left energized for a while, retested, same.
So the sensor behaves well. Problem is somewhere else. :oops: Now am in trouble...

Externet

Joined Nov 29, 2005
Hi.
Hotpoint model HTW200ASK1WW
Behaves erratic, stops at any moment, or runs with no water, or overflows, or does not continue to drain, or does not continue to spin, or...
Inconsistent to enter into diagnostics mode, reports no faults :(

kaindub

Joined Oct 28, 2019
I cant help solve the problem. But I can say that I had a similar problem with a Fisher and Paykel washing machine.
I chased a lot of rabbits down a lot of holes.
I found that I was not able to locate a schematic, and not able to understand the embedded software. I was getting error codes , but the fixes suggested by the service manuals did not resolve the problem.
I got it down to being the hall effect position sensor or another part (cant remember) The cost of both parts , if I was correct, was more than 50% of a new machine
Because I had gotten a useful life out of the machine, we ended up purchasing a new machine
If I had the luxury of swapping out parts , as a service tech might do, and returning the parts it may have been repairable.
I decided that if my hunches were wrong, I was going to buy a lot of parts and may never fix the machine.

Just a thought, but depending on your abilities, (and you were able to remove the sensor, so you should be good there) but you might take your soldering iron and touch up as many of the joints you can see/get to very carefully. I would "think" the PCB would be conformal coated but if not, being near moisture like that and vibration, it sounds like you might have a bad solder joint. With all the new Lead Free processes done these days, you might have a bum solder joint? Just a thought. Good luck.