Wanted e-books on Audio Transformer Design & Construction.

Kimbal

Joined May 7, 2008
Hi All;

I'm seeking anyone who can assist me with free ebooks on Audio Transformer design and construction. The few publications available as hard copies are quite expensive and currently I cannot afford these. Most ebooks I have found to date are only covering power transformers with limited details on chokes; hence, I would be interested in anything available on the above topic.

I primarilly want to make Vacuum Tube Amplifiers and wind my own inductors to cut down construction costs; and secondly, I genuinely like to learn about transformer engineering from the "niche" Audio perspective, as today it's almost dead as a field of skill. The amount of people in Australia who seriously want to know about this feild you can count on one hand.

If you could post me, or email ( my address below in Australia ) with links to publications that would be most appreciated.

Cheers;

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
I don't know if you're asking somebody to write an eBook that would be distributed for free, but I'll let you in on a little secret. The stuff in the free eBooks is free because it is available from many sources and is well known. The stuff you're asking for is not widely available, nor is it well known. You already know what your chances of finding a free eBook are so we needn't dwell on that. There are probably many folks who could do it, but they need a reason to do it other than someone asking for it.

Kimbal

Joined May 7, 2008
I don't know if you're asking somebody to write an eBook that would be distributed for free, but I'll let you in on a little secret. The stuff in the free eBooks is free because it is available from many sources and is well known. The stuff you're asking for is not widely available, nor is it well known. You already know what your chances of finding a free eBook are so we needn't dwell on that. There are probably many folks who could do it, but they need a reason to do it other than someone asking for it.
Thanks for the comments. I am not asking anyone to write an e-book. As I interpret your feedback; the information is just not out there in the public domain and if it exists is therefore being kept secret for monetary reasons. So like those of us seriously interested in this topic - I will work in the dark and find my own technique.

I occasionally hear stories of all the gathered material of many years of research being trashed - such as the files from RCA's Tube Factory being dumped and Audio Transformer designs from Trimax Transformers located in Melbourne Australia being scrapped; etc - so passing such experience onto newer generations appears to not really be of much interest. Sad; but true!

thingmaker3

Joined May 16, 2005
Have you tried getting hard copy books via interlibrary loan? Or looking for used books? I often buy old textbooks for pennies on the dollar. I get recently published books via interlibrary loan.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
I too have used the ILL (inter library loan). It is painfully slow; taking 3 to 4 weeks in some cases. Still it is better than buying a pig in a poke, especially if the book has truth in advertising issues. If I were you I would go to an academic library and pour over old journal articles. Not only will you find pearls of wisdom, but the bibliographies will keep you off the streets for decades.

thingmaker3

Joined May 16, 2005
Oh! Those dangerous bibliographies!! Reading one book leads to thinking "Hmm... I should read these two or three references they keep citing." But the two or three other books have bibliographies of their own!!! What is a poor book addict to do?

Kimbal

Joined May 7, 2008
Yes - I have tried the interlibrary loans and as you say it is slow. I do use them where possible. Some cost money to access, or you have to be a member of some Uni or technical group, as well as the publications being impractical to Xerox because of large page numbers; hence I am looking for ebooks. Ebooks in PDF form are far easier to store and carry around on a pocket size HDD rather than carting boxes of books everytime you move house ( as I rent ).