VRV went BANG ! Caught fire.

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
I thought this would be interesting to show.
Yesterday attended a VRV and here is what I found.
Board_s.jpg

Nice huh.!!

Check out the capacitors:D
Caps_s.jpg

I need to rewind the inductors though....any idea how should I go about it ? :confused:

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
I am fixing an AC unit. VRV type, which the compressor unit is on top of the building.
It is an inverter type.
helluva bang there and looks like one of the slow blows is out as well
Is it a slow blow a quicky. I cannot tell from the part number. It does not state it as a slow blow.
i'd also be looking at the motor
U mean the compressor ??

tom_s

Joined Jun 27, 2014
was under the assumption sand filled fuses were slow blow and with a 20a rating, startup would be pulling close to that.

is there a motor attached to that compressor? :)

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
The compressor is 3 phase motor. You know inverter drive the VFD type.
The only surge will be the caps initial charge current I think

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
I have question about the inductor winding.
The inductors are for EMI filtering.
Each one has 4 isolated winding, 1 for each phase and 1 for neutral. 4 in total. Both inductors are in series.
I need to wind just one. I unwound one and it has 15 turns. Due to the winding is I cannot tell the start or end but I know the direction.
What would happen if I get confused in start and end of the winding ?
Should all the winding be same direction or not ?

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
I have question about the inductor winding.
The inductors are for EMI filtering.
Each one has 4 isolated winding, 1 for each phase and 1 for neutral. 4 in total. Both inductors are in series.
I need to wind just one. I unwound one and it has 15 turns. Due to the winding is I cannot tell the start or end but I know the direction.
What would happen if I get confused in start and end of the winding ?
Should all the winding be same direction or not ?
If you were a radio ham making an RF balun, you'd do a bifilar or trifillar winding by twisting 2 or 3 wires together and wind them on as if it was just one wire - but I suspect you'd run into insulation problems doing that with 3 phases and earth.

You may be able to get PTFE wire, the insulation is good enough to be thinner and still do a lot better than enamel coating.