voltage source inverter (500V dc to ....) design

hopkinson

Joined Dec 25, 2019
hello everyone,

i'm working on a voltage source inverter.
the only info I have are :
Vin = 500V DC
Iout = 150 A
THD < 10%
so i'm thinking of designing a single phase full bridge inverter but i don't know how to calculate the total power based on these infos
can you help me please ?
best regards

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
You are missing two crucial pieces of information.
  1. What is the desired output voltage to which 150 Amps must be delivered?
  2. What DC current is available from the 500 Volt source on the input
If the output power is say no more than 80% of the input power you have passed the first hurdle. This is because no conversion process is 100% efficient, and you certainly cannot get more power out than you put in. At this particular moment the THD spec is irrelevant.

hopkinson

Joined Dec 25, 2019
i'm trying to do something like that : https://www.powerelectronics.com/te...s-power-transfer-system-unveiled-at-oak-ridge

so the goal of the inverter is to provide high frequency output

What is the desired output voltage to which 150 Amps must be delivered?
the load will be a battery but i don't know the voltage. after looking on the web, let's say (for the example) it's a 500V DC (because the only purpose of the inverter is to be used for wireless power transfer so after the rectifier i want my 500V DC back minus the losses).

What DC current is available from the 500 Volt source on the input ?
the DC current available is "unlimited". I mean the source can provide as much as needed it's not a limiting factor

what do you think ?

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
i'm trying to do something like that : https://www.powerelectronics.com/te...s-power-transfer-system-unveiled-at-oak-ridge

so the goal of the inverter is to provide high frequency output

What is the desired output voltage to which 150 Amps must be delivered?
the load will be a battery but i don't know the voltage. after looking on the web, let's say (for the example) it's a 500V DC (because the only purpose of the inverter is to be used for wireless power transfer so after the rectifier i want my 500V DC back minus the losses).

What DC current is available from the 500 Volt source on the input ?
the DC current available is "unlimited". I mean the source can provide as much as needed it's not a limiting factor

what do you think ?
I think your head is in the clouds, but that really doesn't matter. For the record I'm more than a bit skeptical about the efficiency claims exceeding 97%. For that to happen I would have to see a few more details than contained in a magazine article. Next question: do you know anything about how to design with devices called IGBT's. Insulated Gate Bipolar Transistor? You would do well to start your research there.

Last edited:

hopkinson

Joined Dec 25, 2019
do you know anything about how to design with devices called IGBT's. Insulated Gate Bipolar Transistor?
Yes i know but i want to do something basic (only theoritical) but i don't know where to start
the other info i have is the frequency 10kHz

dendad

Joined Feb 20, 2016
It sounds like you do not have much electronic experience.
If that is the case, this project is not for you!
There is a great deal more than just getting a circuit. The power level you are talking about is quite high, and designing a safe and reliable many kilowatt device like this is not a trivial undertaking.
A lot more info would be needed. I would be interested, for instance, to know where you are getting an unlimited 500VDC supply from.

hopkinson

Joined Dec 25, 2019
It sounds like you do not have much electronic experience.
If that is the case, this project is not for you!
There is a great deal more than just getting a circuit. The power level you are talking about is quite high, and designing a safe and reliable many kilowatt device like this is not a trivial undertaking.
A lot more info would be needed. I would be interested, for instance, to know where you are getting an unlimited 500VDC supply from.
It is a theorical exercise and i dont have more info. If the teacher gave us only these info id guess that its possible to design the circuit (even with simplified hypothesis)
Im doing it step by step with the document above
Yes you are right i dont have practical experience but i can calculate and do simlation with matlab (i agree it will never be the same as practical skill)
I will not build this device. Its a homework

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
MOD NOTE: Moved to Homework Help.

This thread is being allowed to continue because it is stated as being a theoretical exercise with no intent to build -- the circuit described would be far too dangerous to actually construct given the experience level involved.

dendad

Joined Feb 20, 2016
Now, start with a block diagram of what you think this device should consist off.
Folks here will help you, but will not do the work for you. It is your job to learn so you need to try to work it out yourself.
Do your own research and post the results here, than ask for comments.