Voltage selector switch and cooler wiring diagram

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
EDIT: The switch has two positions. One side is connected to the two left posts and the center posts. The other side, when switched that way, the two right posts are connected to the two center posts. I'm making an assumption the cooler doesn't run on 110 or 220, but rather at some lower voltage. I make that assumption because of the wiring diagram. This has to be going somewhere. Probably a transformer. Give me a few min's and I'll bang out a drawing.

Last edited:

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
OK - I think this is right. Looks right to me.

Configuration 1 is for being connected to 110VAC. The double switch (shown as two individual switches) connects two primary coils in parallel, meaning they will operate as if one large coil at 110VAC.

Configuration 2 is for being connected to 220VAC. The two primary coils are connected in series. Notice the change in positioning of the switches. Pins 3 & 6 are shorted together (green line)(had to choose a color to draw the diagram). The line going from the bottom of the upper primary coil is drawn in light blue because I can't draw a white line on a white screen. Otherwise the color codes appear to be correct.

When connected in configuration 2 AC power goes to the upper primary coil and pin 1 of the upper switch, which is connected to nothing at this point. The switch is in the 220VAC configuration. Power goes through the upper primary coil, through to the lower switch (pin 5), from pin 5 to pin 6 which is jumpered to pin 3 and switched to pin 2 and into the top of the lower primary coil, through the coil and down to the red lines. Note that the red line on the bottom also connects to pin 4 but in this configuration pin 4 is disconnected. This puts the two primary coils in series forming the 220VAC configuration. Note the black dots on the coils. They indicate the correct phasing. If you reverse one of the two primary coils then they will cancel each other out and you will get no output from the secondary side of the transformer.

1699894331680.png
I hope this helps you get going. If you're unsure of what you're doing then ask for help. Getting things wrong can result in some excitement, smoke and swearing. So be careful. And when taking advice from someone on the internet - never assume they know what they're talking about. I like pictures because they paint a clear picture. Just remember the two switches are mechanically connected. You can't switch one without switching the other. So when pin 2 & 3 are connected so are pins 5 and 6. And when pins 1 & 2 are connected so are pins 4 & 5. You can't switch just one side.