Voltage Regulator

happs

Joined Feb 27, 2005
Hey Peeps

I was wondering if anyone knew of any simple to understand tutorials about voltage regulators - at least, I think that is what I have.
I bought this component having seen something similar on a circuit schematic and thought it was quite important, so I got some. It is a LM319T Adjustable Positive Regulator.

If not a tutorial, just a quick ... what is it ? what's it for !? and how do I use it ? I wanna step down from 6v to 5v for my test circuits and THINK this is what I need. I know it's only 1v difference but I wanna learn about it nevertheless.

Thanks in advance

- Alex.

pebe

Joined Oct 11, 2004
Originally posted by happs@Mar 10 2005, 06:09 AM
Hey Peeps

I was wondering if anyone knew of any simple to understand tutorials about voltage regulators - at least, I think that is what I have.
I bought this component having seen something similar on a circuit schematic and thought it was quite important, so I got some. It is a LM319T Adjustable Positive Regulator.

If not a tutorial, just a quick ... what is it ? what's it for !? and how do I use it ? I wanna step down from 6v to 5v for my test circuits and THINK this is what I need. I know it's only 1v difference but I wanna learn about it nevertheless.

Thanks in advance

- Alex.
[post=5969]Quoted post[/post]​
Hi Alex
You can get the data sheet for it (and many other semics) from here:

http://www.datasheetarchive.com/datasheet/pdf/2916.html

And this tutorial is from this site:

http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_3/chpt_9/1.html

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
Happs,

Is it possible that the part number of the device you have is an LM317t? I know that there is a 3 terminal adjustable positive voltage by that part number. I looked up the LM319 and it looks like that is the part number for a comparator, I think.

Since you are looking to regulate 6V to 5V, you will need to make sure that whatever regulator you use is an LDO or low drop out regulator. An LDO regulator will work with a very small difference between the input voltage and the output voltage.