Voltage across Resistor in Driven RL circuit.

hunter6

Joined Feb 22, 2018
For t>0 in this circuit. It acts as a single loop circuit. so circuit flowing through 25 ohm will be iL. Solution says
v1=
upload_2018-5-28_16-10-39.png
and this is my approach.
MOD: Tidied your image, for you.

IMG_20180528_160737.jpg

If I take V1= iL * 25 , I can't get the above answer. kindly help.

Last edited by a moderator:

hunter6

Joined Feb 22, 2018
Why do you claim it acts like a single loop circuit for t > 0?
After a long time , (t= infinity) the circuit will be in steady state and inductor will act as a short circuit. So, no current will flow through 100 ohm resistor. Hence , a single loop circuit

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
"After a long time" and "t > 0" are two very, very different things.

You are asked to find the voltage for t > 0, which includes when t is just barely past t = 0, when t is a fraction of a percent of one time constant, when t is one time constant, and when t is three time constants. Those are all very different than "after a long time".

If you choose to simplify the circuit down to a point that it is only valid "after a long time", do not be surprised when any answer you get as a result is ONLY valid "after a long time".

The voltage across the 25 Ω is NOT equal to that resistance times the current in the inductor because the inductor and that resistor are not one and the same -- they are NOT in series.

Also, in your work, the exponential in your equation goes from R/L to "1000" by magic.

Finally -- and I've told you this more than once -- you need to track your units properly.

hunter6

Joined Feb 22, 2018
"After a long time" and "t > 0" are two very, very different things.

You are asked to find the voltage for t > 0, which includes when t is just barely past t = 0, when t is a fraction of a percent of one time constant, when t is one time constant, and when t is three time constants. Those are all very different than "after a long time".

If you choose to simplify the circuit down to a point that it is only valid "after a long time", do not be surprised when any answer you get as a result is ONLY valid "after a long time".

The voltage across the 25 Ω is NOT equal to that resistance times the current in the inductor because the inductor and that resistor are not one and the same -- they are NOT in series.

Also, in your work, the exponential in your equation goes from R/L to "1000" by magic.

Finally -- and I've told you this more than once -- you need to track your units properly.
R = 25 || 100 = 20 ohms and exponential is R/L t . So 20/0.02t = 1000t

Next time I will keep track of my units properly.
sorry for inconvenience and thanks for your time!

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014

Hello,

Is that all you had to calculate was the exponent?

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012

I have serious doubts that you will track your units properly next time since you couldn't even be bothered to track them properly in this post!

R = 25 Ω || 100 Ω = 20 Ω

The exponent is -(R/L)t = -(20 Ω / 0.02 H) t = -1000 s^-1 · t

A better, generally more useful way to express the exponent would be - t / 1 ms