Consider a circuit with DC voltage source of 8V, a diode, and a resistor of 2.2KΩ are connected in series. The voltage drop across the resistor is *

nikhil027

Joined May 15, 2021
Consider a circuit with DC voltage source of 8V, a diode, and a resistor of 2.2KΩ are connected in series. The voltage drop across the resistor is *

7.3 V

7 V

6.9 V

6.5V

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
As this sounds like homework, why don't you tell us what you think the answer is and what evidence you have to support that conclusion.
BTW - does it mention the type of diode? It could be silicon, or Schottky, or germanium, or zener, or LED. The answer to your question kind of depends on the answer to my question.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Is that a word for word copy of an assignment question or a halfass "my time is too important to waste on transposing every detail" summary of an assignment question? If that's the whole question then it's a halfass question and deserves no more than a halfass answer.
"A diode"? Fwd biased or reverse? What kind of diode? What's it's voltage drop?
Answer = 8V - diode voltage drop (which isn't given).

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Is that a word for word copy of an assignment question or a halfass "my time is too important to waste on transposing every detail" summary of an assignment question? If that's the whole question then it's a halfass question and deserves no more than a halfass answer.
"A diode"? Fwd biased or reverse? What kind of diode? What's it's voltage drop?
Answer = 8V - diode voltage drop (which isn't given).
And I thought I was being snarky tonight. A tip o' the hat to you sir.

Oh! One more thing. I forgot to ask if the voltage source has any source resistance. That'll make only a small difference in any case.

Last edited:

Teyvanai

Joined Dec 6, 2015
Sir this will totally depend upon the maximum current taken by the resister and Diode together
once you do know off this then [[ apply Ohms law with the 2.2K ohm resistor to get the voltage drop across the resistor

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
If you know the current then you apply Ohm's Law.
If you know the voltage then the answer is simple math.

You don't know the current or the voltage.

Take it up with your instructor.

Audioguru again

Joined Oct 21, 2019
Isn't this a "select one of the four following voltages" question?
Since the resistor has a voltage across it then the diode must be forward biased.
Then lookup the forward voltage of diodes and use simple subtraction to find the correct answer.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Since you are given four answers to choose from and you were not told the type of diode, pick a device with the following forward voltage at 3mA diode forward current:

(a) 0.7V
(b) 1.0V
(c) 1.1V
(d) 1.5V