When do you consider the ARM mode in your work?

King2

Joined Jul 17, 2022
ARM processors can operate in different modes, such as User mode, Supervisor mode, Interrupt mode, etc

I've written code for an STM32 board that includes Timer interrupt, UART, SPI, and ADC functionalities. However, I never worried about operating mode in my work.

If you're working with ARM processors, when do you think it's important to consider the ARM mode in your work?

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
I use ARM processors all the time.
I didn’t know that they have different modes.
If they do, then I must be a dumb User.

King2

Joined Jul 17, 2022
I use ARM processors all the time.
I didn’t know that they have different modes.
If they do, then I must be a dumb User.
Thanks for your response.

I'm particularly interested in understanding the practical implications or scenarios where considering these ARM modes becomes important in application development. For instance, how these modes might affect performance, or the behavior of specific functionalities like interrupts, peripheral access.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
ARM processors can operate in different modes, such as User mode, Supervisor mode, Interrupt mode, etc

I've written code for an STM32 board that includes Timer interrupt, UART, SPI, and ADC functionalities. However, I never worried about operating mode in my work.

If you're working with ARM processors, when do you think it's important to consider the ARM mode in your work?
Sure, most bare-metal embedded software runs in system mode with exception traps to supervisor or interrupt modes. You could also just leave it in supervisor mode as that's the default boot mode. User mode is used with a OS to run normal programs as it provides protection for system OS related resources.
https://takethenotes.com/operating-modes-in-arm/

Last edited: