Help! Whats the RMS voltage across this resistor?

trynabeabetterme

Joined Dec 16, 2020
1608148138017.png
Whats the RMS voltage across resistor r? I have tried 20 - (0.7*2) = 18.6rms but I have gotten conflicting answers :/
Someone I asked for help from said it was 13rms. This makes me scared because its worth a lot of marks!

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Welcome to AAC!

Neither answer is correct. It might help if you used the definition of what RMS voltage represents.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
The question is ambiguous.
The definition of rms voltage is the DC voltage that produces the same power.
Is it 20VDC (rms) or 20VAC (rms)? Send it back to your instructor.

trynabeabetterme

Joined Dec 16, 2020
The question is ambiguous.
The definition of rms voltage is the DC voltage that produces the same power.
Is it 20VDC (rms) or 20VAC (rms)? Send it back to your instructor.
I can't really send it back it's a question in a final year exam. Someone helped me out by saying

"It is approximately 13 VRMS.

Half rectified sinewave, Vrms= Vpk/2

Vpk = 2\^0.5 x 20V - 1.4V = \~26.9V 1.4V is to silicon diode forward voltage drops

Vrms = 26.9V/2 = 13.5V"

Should I go with that or the 18.6 I previously had.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
The answer depends on the shape of the input waveform.
Let us assume that who wrote the question intended it to be a sinewave centered about 0V.
Then it becomes a trick question.

What level course is this?

trynabeabetterme

Joined Dec 16, 2020
Assuming it's a sinewave (and you would need to state that in your answer) why would you go with 18.6 if you think it's half-wave rectified?
Someone I had asked on another forum solved it as a half wave rectified. I do not know what wave form it is, it does not say. But since it is rms I assume sine wave? I am new to electronics this is a first year exam.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
RMS value can be applied to any wave shape.
You were not told the shape of the wave hence you must state the assumed shape in your answer.
This is still a trick question.

Since this is an actual exam for credit we cannot give you the answer.

RBR1317

Joined Nov 13, 2010
It seems plausible that the input is either an AC or DC waveform, but it is customary to identify a DC voltage as VDC and an AC voltage as RMS. In either case the voltage across the resistor is not a sine wave so you need to go back to the basic definition of RMS in order to find the answer.

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi ,
Welcome to AAC.
As this is homework we can only give you a hint.
Hint: those two diodes act as half wave rectifier.

As the wave form is not specified, I would assume a Sine wave, state this in your answer.

E

Attachments