Virus vulnerability

TheFox

Joined Apr 29, 2009
No that is not the reason. Go investigate why Linux is made with security as the mos important aspect. Windows is made for virus and spyware in purpose man.
Why would people waste their time writing for things that no one, but savvy computer-users use?

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I began using IBM DOS 3.1 and so MS-DOS they were the same. Who wrote the code? a then poor guy or a multimillion dollar corporation? I go for the latter. You go for the song story good for you it does sounds impressive though.
By the time DOS 3.0 to 6.2 was written there isn't much doubt whose code it was. DOS 1.0 was barely usable, but it was a good seed program for later revisions. As I mentioned, MicroSoft had a lot of experience writing high level code already, DOS was an addition to an extensive library sold by MicroSoft.

Like I said before, IBM licensed the code from M/S, they were never the owners.

Are you even aware of the other DOS's that existed at the time (there were 3-4)? Dr. DOS still survives as an OS to install hard drives (I think Western Digital, though it could be Maxtor).

Last edited:

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Ever hear of Ubuntu's virus scanner called Avast Antivirus for Ubuntu Desktop

Took me all of 10 seconds to find. Why do you suppose they write a virus scanner for a system that doesn't need it?

The serious research by the bad guys is for the most popular O/S, which last I checked was MicroSoft with an over 90%+ market share. Feel free to research my results.

Linux has a 1.02% market share, up from 1%.

theamber

Joined Jun 13, 2008
Facts are easy to prove, opinions not so much. Bias can not be corrected, if one's mind is made up with fallacious facts and a refusal to look at history by people who lived it.

I tend go with the Fox's post, Linux has a advantage. It has breathing room to find the bugs, and it doesn't feel the need to rewrite the world to sell new code. If it ever does take off, it will be attacked, occasionally successfully.
No I see 2+2=4 and I say yes it make sense. I see NOW this corporation what tried to monopolize to obligate all to use their **** products. I see a really bad operating system from a company who profit from peoples ignorance. I see a game console that breaks 99.9% after the warranty is over and I say; can this people do anything usefull I think NOT.
I saw rumors of his mother being involved with IBM corporatives at that time, I see a nobody being onwer of an operating system HE DID NOT WRITE, he does not know how nor had the men power to do that, do you know what it takes to write and operating system? I know he stole DOS with the help of his mother.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
This is bullcorn, you don't have big fancy hard to write programs like an virus scanner unless they are needed. When you are ready acknowledge simple facts or have real facts to state your case feel free to quote them instead of opinions that are way off base, but I do have better things to do than argue for the sake of it.

You want sources, I can quote sources. You have to be willing to read though to learn.

Again, because you obviously didn't read it the first time, Microsoft was around for more than 3 years before DOS came out, no mother needed.

TheFox

Joined Apr 29, 2009
Why do you think?.... Money, most of the things you buy you don`t need. We humans has only 12 basic necessities. I never got a virus in Linux being using it for the pass 6 years.
What does money have to do with it? There are more four FREE scanners, that you can get from the, 'Ubuntu Software Center'.

theamber

Joined Jun 13, 2008
This is bullcorn, you don't have big fancy hard to write programs like an virus scanner unless they are needed. When you are ready acknowledge simple facts or have real facts to state your case feel free to quote them instead of opinions that are way off base, but I do have better things to do than argue for the sake of it.

You want sources, I can quote sources. You have to be willing to read though to learn.
Ok Bill Gates is a genius programmer, his corporation is the cleanest his products are the best he is a very honest man and that is why he is rich and #1. And you have better things to do that argue with me.

theamber

Joined Jun 13, 2008
What does money have to do with it? There are more four FREE scanners, that you can get from the, 'Ubuntu Software Center'.
How old are you? the mayority of viruses are writen to make money, some people develop free scanners with limited resources that unfortunately do not work good but I do appreciate their efforts.

TheFox

Joined Apr 29, 2009
How old are you? the mayority of viruses are writen to make money, some people develop free scanners with limited resources that unfortunately do not work good but I do appreciate their efforts.
That was the point I was making a moment ago; Why waste their time on less then 2% of the computer users out there, Savvy ones at that?

theamber

Joined Jun 13, 2008
That was the point I was making a moment ago; Why waste their time on less then 2% of the computer users out there, Savvy ones at that?
Yes and no why waste their time in an operating system that is super hard to infest. I agree that what you said may have something to do too. I never bought a virus scanner I always back up important data. Have you heard of the virus that erase the Bios? I even had Bins of my bios and an universal programmer just in case.

TheFox

Joined Apr 29, 2009
It's not about how hard it is, it's about their targets. They will go after Linux, no matter good the security it is, with much success. It's not about security, It's an inevitability, if Linux gets a sizable grasp on the computer market.

Possibly because 1% of the computers set up by advanced techie nerd types is a loosing proposition? This is a commercial (all be it illegal) enterprise.

Last edited:

theamber

Joined Jun 13, 2008
It's not about how hard it is, it's about their targets. They will go after Linux, no matter how secure it is, with much success. It's not about security, It's an inevitability, if Linux gets a sizable grasp.

Possibly because 1% of the computers set up by advanced techie nerd types is a loosing proposition? This is a commercial (all be it illegal) enterprise.
I can`t imagine people buying virus scanners that always needs updates that cost more money even for any OS is a funny thought hahahaah.

TheFox

Joined Apr 29, 2009
Because new vulnerabilities are being found everyweek. The 'Bad Guys' will update their software, and they really appreciate you not updating yours.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Yes and no why waste their time in an operating system that is super hard to infest. I agree that what you said may have something to do too. I never bought a virus scanner I always back up important data. Have you heard of the virus that erase the Bios? I even had Bins of my bios and an universal programmer just in case.
So you read my reply, but not correctly. The virus that erased BIOS was in the 1990's. Why? Because they weren't interested in making money, but wanted to destroy your computer. It is interesting when the cold war ended the malicious viruses reduced dramatically. Nowdays it is all about making money, which means being hard to see and detect as possible. The bad guys don't want to damage your computer any more than you do. They just want to own it.

TheFox

Joined Apr 29, 2009
We have been talking about how secure Linux is, but when people start writing for it, nothing can save it from operator error, e.g., clicking the 'Click here, your a winner!'.